Worried about wood....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm bettin your new moisture meter is gonna say that Oak isn't ready for this winter...maybe ready for next

I got my meter come in today. Dr. Meter MD-812 and it is showing less than 5%. One of my friends has an MD-912 and that is showing the same.. My meter can go up to 40% and if I put the meter's leads in a glass of water, then it registers 40%. I tried it on a piece of wood that was not covered for the past few weeks and had been rained on. This wood is showing 32% for moisture..

So I guess my meter and Red OAK fire wood is good or do you guys have any recommendation for a meter?

Reactions: Cervidae
I got my meter come in today. Dr. Meter MD-812 and it is showing less than 5%.
Meter is full of poo poo, even kiln dried 2x4s are not that low. Air dried firewood is nearly impossible to get much below 15% unless you live in Arizona.
Read up on how those meters work, they only give you a rough idea, not that accurate unless you spend big $$ for a commercial grade one that has to be calbrated to what exactly you are testing...very finicky.
less than 5% on a fresh split? Or were you testing the outside/ ends?
Yeah, ya hafta resplit the wood and then check the fresh face of the split...in the middle

Last edited:
Reactions: gzax
Meter is full of poo poo, even kiln dried 2x4s are not that low. Air dried firewood is nearly impossible to get much below 15% unless you live in Arizona.
Read up on how those meters work, they only give you a rough idea, not accurate at all unless you spend big $$ for a commercial grade one that has to be calbrated to what exactly you are testing...very finicky.

Yeah, ya hafta resplit the wood and then check the fresh face of the split...in the middle

Will give that a try today..

find a piece of wood that is on the larger side in your stack (not huge), split it as close to the middle as you can, and then put the probes going lengthwise on the freshly cut side. It should follow the grain of the wood.

My Envi logs are coming today!!

find a piece of wood that is on the larger side in your stack (not huge), split it as close to the middle as you can, and then put the probes going lengthwise on the freshly cut side. It should follow the grain of the wood.

My Envi logs are coming today!!

I am in Framingham, MA where are you? Are you picking up the logs or getting it delivered? what was the price?

Delivered. I would have gotten them in my truck but they are very heavy. My Silverado 1500 is a quarter ton pickup and I guess they are a ton a pallet? I'm right outside Worcester.

They were around $640 for two pallets with delivery, probably around the same price for actual seasoned wood if you could find it. I decided not to take any chances and got the bricks instead. Got them from Pellets Direct in Uxbridge- they would deliver there. I would call sooner than later if you want some I heard places run out of them.

Delivered. I would have gotten them in my truck but they are very heavy. My Silverado 1500 is a quarter ton pickup and I guess they are a ton a pallet? I'm right outside Worcester.

They were around $640 for two pallets with delivery, probably around the same price for actual seasoned wood if you could find it. I decided not to take any chances and got the bricks instead. Got them from Pellets Direct in Uxbridge- they would deliver there. I would call sooner than later if you want some I heard places run out of them.

Thank you for the details..

They have Hot bricks, Envi 8's and Envi Block.. Which one did you get?

I've had 2,300 lbs. in my Silverado 1500......not gonna say I didn't feel it, but it did the job....as a matter of fact 5 trips....3/4 inch Process.

I've had 2,300 lbs. in my Silverado 1500......not gonna say I didn't feel it, but it did the job....as a matter of fact 5 trips....3/4 inch Process.

Yeah I would have had to go twice- half an hour away for each pallet. So that's two hours of driving and gas, getting them piece by piece off the truck, beating my new shocks, etc. It was worth the $60 I paid in shipping..

Yeah I would have had to go twice- half an hour away for each pallet. So that's two hours of driving and gas, getting them piece by piece off the truck, beating my new shocks, etc. It was worth the $60 I paid in shipping..
$60.00 for two pallets is a deal for someone like me who doesn't have a pickup..

Read up on how those meters work, they only give you a rough idea, not accurate at all unless you spend big $$ for a commercial grade one that has to be calbrated to what exactly you are testing...very finicky.

It is showing 28%.. I guess I am out of luck with this unless I am taking the approach as mwhitnee where i get some enviro blocks and burn the green wood along (in small quantities)...

Could someone explain, in detail, the theory behind using the envi logs? (How they work? What application is best?) When used in addition to not properly dry wood is it safe or just safer?

I moved into a new (for me) rental home a few months ago and haven't had as much time as I'd like to process and dry wood for this coming winter. I know I'm not going to get a clean burn but I'd like to get as close as possible. What are some other tricks to burn wet wood cleaner or to mitigate creosote buildup?

Could someone explain, in detail, the theory behind using the envi logs? (How they work? What application is best?) When used in addition to not properly dry wood is it safe or just safer?

I moved into a new (for me) rental home a few months ago and haven't had as much time as I'd like to process and dry wood for this coming winter. I know I'm not going to get a clean burn but I'd like to get as close as possible. What are some other tricks to burn wet wood cleaner or to mitigate creosote buildup?

I believe the overall idea is that if you have wood with 30% moisture mixed with envi logs which are less than 3% or so moisture, the combined moisture content for the entire load of firewood and envi logs is still less than 20% and it burns better since the dry envi logs are in it as well. Let's see what the seasoned veterans have to say..

Reactions: brhorgan
I believe the overall idea is that if you have wood with 30% moisture mixed with envi logs which are less than 3% or so moisture, the combined moisture content for the entire load of firewood and envi logs is still less than 20% and it burns better since the dry envi logs are in it as well. Let's see what the seasoned veterans have to say..
Yeah, that's more or less it. I see what you did there..."seasoned" veterans, HA! ;lol
The other aspect of it is that the dry "log" can help get the firebox hot enough to get the secondary combustion going, and that it where the real heat and longer burn times happen, gets the fire box hot, gets secondary combustion going, turn the air down...enjoy the fire/heat! (if you try to turn the air down with a load of "not dry enough" wood, the fire just goes out, or smolders)

Reactions: gzax and brhorgan
Yeah, that's more or less it. I see what you did there..."seasoned" veterans, HA! ;lol
The other aspect of it is that the dry "log" can help get the firebox hot enough to get the secondary combustion going, and that it where the real heat and longer burn times happen, gets the fire box hot, gets secondary combustion going, turn the air down...enjoy the fire/heat! (if you try to turn the air down with a load of "not dry enough" wood, the fire just goes out, or smolders)

Oh that makes a lot of sense. Thank you! It looks like I'll be off to shop for a pallet of envi logs. Any suggestions on where to start for a good price?

You can use ECO bricks (or whatever they're called in your area) too, anything that has compressed sawdust only, no wax, fillers. Hafta do a lil research to find the different brands/types and then call multiple dealers for price, they can vary a lot. In our area, ECO bricks can range from $200(ish) to over $300 per ton (pallet)

Oh that makes a lot of sense. Thank you! It looks like I'll be off to shop for a pallet of envi logs. Any suggestions on where to start for a good price?

In my area (Saratoga-ish, NY) prices range from 300ish to 500ish per pallet.

The best way to shop around I've found was look on the manufacturer websites, at the find a dealer screen... I don't think Lowes or Home Depot carries the bricks.. Tractor Supply does, if you have those near you.

Yah we have tractor supply, a big Northwest true value, and a handful of Ag supply companies down here in southwest VA.

Status
Not open for further replies.