Worth burning Poplar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just got a truck full of poplar (about 1/3 cord). I knew it wasn't exactly BTU heavy, but was surprised at how crappy it actually is. If I had more room I'd get it just to get a quick fire going or for shoulder season (any day now...), but I don't. I LOVE splitting it though, so that's almost worth it. I'm hoping that it will season quickly, but can't find any info. I'm guessing it will be plenty burnable by next year?
Poplar/Aspen is not my favorite firewood to use but have used it exclusively this fall, it will soon be depleted. I have also sold 4 full cords cut, split, and seasoned @ $50 each. For an optimal batch burn in a gasifying boiler, Poplar/Aspen requires different blower speeds and intake settings. Definitely not a prime firewood but will heat a home.

Just got a truck full of poplar (about 1/3 cord). I knew it wasn't exactly BTU heavy, but was surprised at how crappy it actually is. If I had more room I'd get it just to get a quick fire going or for shoulder season (any day now...), but I don't. I LOVE splitting it though, so that's almost worth it. I'm hoping that it will season quickly, but can't find any info. I'm guessing it will be plenty burnable by next year?
Of course it's worth burning, what else am I supposed to do with the 15 cords of it split and stacked in the back yard?

Probably not worth buying, unless it was real cheap.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I like some low BTU wood for the shoulder season and /or if you're sitting around and can load the stove more often to use it up.

What’s your plan for week 16? [emoji14]
Another 4 cords in the front, and I've been mixing in oak and other hardwoods to the loads to stretch the burns out.

I'm only burning one mid sized stove, and not that hard yet, but I could see ripping right through it using 2 or 3 stoves at once.

We have an abundance of wood, but it's not all primo. I actually really like the poplar for much of the season, and once I hit my rhythm, I hardly notice the 4 or 5 hour reload intervals.

I love me some poplar, specially in late Oct early Nov. I'd rather grab some of that than my nice ash or beech wood. Heck theres nothing i wont burn in my stove, just depends on the amount of heat im looking for at the time.Even if i had all the oak or ash available id ever want i'd still get me some pine or poplar as a side dish .

Reactions: WiscWoody
Not a fan of Poplar other than for kindling. Unless it can be used in very big pieces to fit the stove to get some burn time out of it. Just my opinion though. Kevin

Reactions: Ashful
I started out burning poplar in 2010 because it is plentiful up here and easy to get since most don’t bother with it and it dried in less than a year it seemed but now I’d scrounge for it only if I am really low on wood or if I take down one I have in the yard or woods here which I will be doing in the spring. You can heat your house with it but you’ll go through more of it than a more dense wood and be cleaning out the ash’s more often.

Reactions: Ashful