Would I be a fool not to pickup a Regency F3500 that needs catalyst for $1100USD?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShaneMac

Sep 28, 2021
Ontario
Have been getting a bunch of quotes and came across a F3500 about an hour from me for $1100USD, I have been leaning towards the summit and princess and still waiting on the princess quote. It looks in pretty good shape and sellers said they redid the area and it has been putting out too much heat. I asked about the mark on the top left corner of front which looks like a crack but assures it is not.

Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 10.32.45 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 10.32.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 10.32.38 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 10.32.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 10.32.29 AM.png
    421.3 KB · Views: 231
A new catalyst is what, $350? Would certainly seem that it's a good deal if the rest of the stove is in good shape. Don't those go new for like $4K?

I tend to price all my decisions agains an equally sized Drolet.

Market it going to go up for used stoves the colder it gets.

Have been getting a bunch of quotes and came across a F3500 about an hour from me for $1100USD, I have been leaning towards the summit and princess and still waiting on the princess quote. It looks in pretty good shape and sellers said they redid the area and it has been putting out too much heat. I asked about the mark on the top left corner of front which looks like a crack but assures it is not.

View attachment 315967View attachment 315971View attachment 315968
Looks like a crack on the face top left corner of the door opening. If so no don't get it. Otherwise it's a great price.

Reactions: EbS-P
Looks like a crack on the face top left corner of the door opening. If so no don't get it. Otherwise it's a great price.
It definitely looks like a crack to me

Now Regency does have a lifetime warranty on the box. Unfortunately it isn't transferable. There is a chance you could get them to honor it but I wouldn't take the chance

If it is a crack they were probably running it like a freight train full speed ahead and overfired it

If it is a crack they were probably running it like a freight train full speed ahead and overfired it
Or a flaw in the metal that was missed it happens occasionally. I would normally agree with you but I don't see any other signs of abuse

I didn’t see any other signs of abuse either and I wouldn’t be afraid of drilling a hole in the end of the crack, grinding a “v” in the rest and welding it closed, smooth it, paint it, enjoy the fire.

I didn’t see any other signs of abuse either and I wouldn’t be afraid of drilling a hole in the end of the crack, grinding a “v” in the rest and welding it closed, smooth it, paint it, enjoy the fire.
Yeah but I would try to get it for less if that's the case. I have seen to many fail after doing that to take a chance on $1100

Reactions: Hoytman
Agreed, it sure looks like a crack. The paint on the face is greying. It could be that the stove was pushed too hard. This could be due to a tall flue on the stove or user negligence. The firebricks are cracked in the back which indicates wood was probably thrown in the stove instead of being placed and not slammed against the back.

I'm going to try and go see it Sunday to confirm if crack or not, I did ask and they said it was not but I need to see in person. What else should I look for? I finally found an installer but really how hard is it to install? How do you deal with the inbetween lengths?

My plan is to pull the 90 off and replace with 2 45's and then see what length I need for the horizontal and vertical.

Possible crack on bottom right of door? hard to believe there would be a crack there but in the pic it kind of looks like one.

No cracks, the damper housing has a good bit of sag to it, not sure if that would effect the ability to fully close it off?
Markings are all gone off the catalyst engagement thermometer.
IMG_6039.jpgIMG_6040.jpgIMG_6041.jpg

Good deal for checking. That's going to affect the damper seal. Looks like another sign of being overfired. Deduct the price of a bypass frame and gasket.

Was the stove on a particularly tall flue system?

Its a two story house so had to be pretty tall, I didn't really pay attention though. Trying to locate a price on a new damper assembly but no luck yet.