Would it be that tough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Does anyone make a stovetop/ pipe thermometer that can be recalibrated when it starts reading wrong? I have 3 of them right now that are going in the trash cuz they are all reading to high or to low. I have a Homesaver thermo on the pipe that has read right on for 3 years now and I'm sure I would be happier with a Condor medallion for the stove but the rutlands are all that is available in my area stores. (I'm not a big order online kinda guy)
I guess I just dont understand why someone dosnt make an adjustable themometer.

Great question -got all freaked out recently due to a rutland that was screwed up. Thought I was overfiring, wound up running the stove too cool for several days.

Great question -got all freaked out recently due to a rutland that was screwed up. Thought I was overfiring, wound up running the stove too cool for several days.
Thats exactly what happened to me yesterday. 1 day they work fine and several hours later they are all wacked out.

Thats exactly what happened to me yesterday. 1 day they work fine and several hours later they are all wacked out.
The Condar's have a hole in the center and I've used a Phillips screwdriver to rotate the mechanism to recalibrate. I use an IR temp gun as a standard for temp measurement.. I do buy my Condar's online and other things.. Saves gas and $$..

Ray

When the pipe turns an orange/red it is too hot!!:)

Reactions: Nixon
No, No , its when the Jack Daniels vaporizes before the ice melts.

When the pipe turns an orange/red it is too hot!!:)
+1
Going by the colour of the glowing metal never needs recalibration. I have never had an urge to use a stovetop or flue thermometer and would not trust what it said if I had one. As for calibration, I think they need to be calibrated at more than one end of the range. Simply moving the pointer would only calibrate one end of the range. Even a stopped clock gives perfect time twice a day!

When shopping for a regular thermometer, I compare the readings of all them and pick one that is in the middle of the range. Too bad it doesn't work for stovetop thermometers.

I think boiling water would be a good baseline to calibrate to.

Status
Not open for further replies.