1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Would it be that tough?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Butcher, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Butcher

Butcher Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    Does anyone make a stovetop/ pipe thermometer that can be recalibrated when it starts reading wrong? I have 3 of them right now that are going in the trash cuz they are all reading to high or to low. I have a Homesaver thermo on the pipe that has read right on for 3 years now and I'm sure I would be happier with a Condor medallion for the stove but the rutlands are all that is available in my area stores. (I'm not a big order online kinda guy)
    I guess I just dont understand why someone dosnt make an adjustable themometer.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Great question -got all freaked out recently due to a rutland that was screwed up. Thought I was overfiring, wound up running the stove too cool for several days.
  3. Butcher

Butcher Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    Thats exactly what happened to me yesterday. 1 day they work fine and several hours later they are all wacked out.
  4. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    The Condar's have a hole in the center and I've used a Phillips screwdriver to rotate the mechanism to recalibrate. I use an IR temp gun as a standard for temp measurement.. I do buy my Condar's online and other things.. Saves gas and $$..

Ray
  5. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    When the pipe turns an orange/red it is too hot!!:)
    Nixon likes this.
  6. Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakota, Iowa
    Or if the beer in your hand starts to boil.
    Nixon likes this.
  7. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    No, No , its when the Jack Daniels vaporizes before the ice melts.
  8. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    +1
    Going by the colour of the glowing metal never needs recalibration. I have never had an urge to use a stovetop or flue thermometer and would not trust what it said if I had one. As for calibration, I think they need to be calibrated at more than one end of the range. Simply moving the pointer would only calibrate one end of the range. Even a stopped clock gives perfect time twice a day!

When shopping for a regular thermometer, I compare the readings of all them and pick one that is in the middle of the range. Too bad it doesn't work for stovetop thermometers.

I think boiling water would be a good baseline to calibrate to.