Would like opinions about tube heaters for masonry fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bayowulf

Oct 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
Hi - We have a traditional masonry fireplace that we don’t use much because it seems to be a net heat loss. I was thinking that we would use it more if we could get the fireplace to compensate for the heat loss. I don’t believe that a simple cast iron fireback will be sufficient.

I’ve read about fireplace blowers on the internets, in particular tube heaters/blowers look nice, but I am skeptical about how well they work and how durable they are. Example photo below. I would appreciate any comments both about this tubular style heaters and blowers in general. Thanks.
0AA41E87-B328-4AD5-BE52-A6E1A24B22A9.jpeg

Add on gadgets like this can help a bit, while the fire is burning, but most of the heat delivered into the room is then sucked out of it and sent up the chimney as the fire dies down.

Add on gadgets like this can help a bit, while the fire is burning, but most of the heat delivered into the room is then sucked out of it and sent up the chimney as the fire dies down.
I see...hmm... But even so, making the actual fire cozier might be worth it, even if the room is cold by morning. Maybe.

Extending the original question slightly: Sellers of these tube heaters claim that there can be airflow without a blower. Do you think such passive air circulation would occur and would it amount to much?

Don't waste your money.

The diameter of the tubes looks pretty small and restrictive to convect a lot of air naturally, but I have never used one and can't say.

How large is the fireplace? Would a freestanding stove fit?