"Would you like to play a game?" Who's stove will run the longest without a cleaning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
To start the season off with a bang lets play a game. All people involved with have to register their stove and list their brand of pellets. What we will do is list you pellet usage every day or so and run the stove till it shuts down due to no cleaning. No glass scrubbing, no pot scraping, no emptying of the ash pan. We will take everyone's word on what their stove is doing. Who wants to play? Pictures can also be included.

Eric

I may be interested in this. LOL.

So the winner is the one with the most pounds of pellets burned before the first failure to ignite ?

Meh thinks the guys with mechanical pot stirrers and auto pot cleaning cycles will have a clear advantage though.

cncpro said:
I may be interested in this. LOL.

So the winner is the one with the most pounds of pellets burned before the first failure to ignite ?

Meh thinks the guys with mechanical pot stirrers and auto pot cleaning cycles will have a clear advantage though.

I think we will need to discuss the exact rules when we get the group formed. I know the season starts and not everyone runs there stove right off the bat 24/7 so we need to set the rules. Should be fun.

Eric

I think the guys with no auto ignition, burning the best softwood pellet they can find will win. (I'll wager my 2 cents on the first gent/lady burning a 10 years old P-61 with 2 feet of pipe and a steady supply of SPF pellets or Doug fir pellets) Who's gonna be my hero?

First place - Cheetah II ash vac
Second place - leaf blower suitable for pellet stove sucking
Third place - chimney brush
:cheese:

cncpro said:
First place - Cheetah II ash vac
Second place - leaf blower suitable for pellet stove sucking
Third place - chimney brush
:cheese:

Well, then...sounds like yer gonna need to have an entry fee. Rick

I guess that might cause some :ahem: less than accurate reporting...

I could not get myself to abuse my stove that way, let someone else win.

slls said:

X2

Hearthtools(Rod) has been running his stove for 35 bags straight without opening the door on it. He is only cleaning his stove 2 to 3 times(I can't remember or can I find the whole thread on it!) a year. Your going to have a hard time beating that with any old tin can. The multifuelers stoves will be the winners here!

Check here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13351/#147693

I might play after some initial pellet testing for the group. But my money's on hearthtools(Rod)! If I play I am going to play pretty tough. I have a few tricks. "Not all pellets are equal" should be a good hint! Eric might want to rethink using ProPellets for this game! You wont stand a chance!

slls said:

The ponies were meant to run so let them run.

A good stove will give it a good fight and I know the Harman PC45 will run for a minimum of two tons.

Eric

I have no chance..... I need to scoop my burn pot out at least ever 2-3 days, otherwise the feed simply overflows into the ash pan and then i have one big fire, not a stove. happens on every brand of pellet i used. the bottom ash just piles up and gets crusty and fills the burn pot up :(

kinsman stoves said:
slls said:

A good stove will give it a good fight and I know the Harman PC45 will run for a minimum of two tons.

Eric

Eric's bringin a ringer! (in my mind the PC45 is a P61 with an agitator, you'll have my bet sir, though I might throw some money in the opposite direction to make things look interesting)

OK, I'll get in on this. But let me warn you all....with the Astoria stove I had 2 winters ago, I let it run w/o touching it for 2 straight weeks, and it was still burning. (see pics below).

Now, I have a multi-fuel stove that I think will beat that....you guys SURE you want to do this??

Attachments

• Dirty.jpg
    Dirty.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 560
  • dirty burnpot.jpg
    dirty burnpot.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 555
we ran a VF55 for over a month, never touched it. I've got a customer who has a P68 and the only time it gets cleaned is when we come out to do it in the spring.

It pretty much looks like the person using a multifuel stove with the largest ash pan, Burning the cleanest pellet has the best chance on pulling this off. Ash volume may also play into this.

What stove has the largest ash pan? The Harman PC45 or the Enviro Omega? My money is still on the Omega with the right pellet combination. Have to measure the ash pan!

I had a long talked with my stove about this and well...let's just say it did not wave back using all his exchanger tubes. So in the interest of keeping peace and warmth in my home I have decided not to participate in this somewhat intriguing winter stove Olympics. May I suggest a few secret judges to pick the winner selected by the inventor of this event just to keep things fair? ;)

I have some customers that can win this thing with an Englander PDVC-25. Look at this picture, she ran nearly 80 bags through it over 2 seasons... This is how it looked when I got there and yes...it did start up again. Mostly due to the fact that under all of that ash was a smoldering pile of pellets that simply never went out.
2010-02-23%2017.13.02.jpg

I'll enter my new GF55 burning: ---------. The stove is brand new too. Virgin. I do have a modification looming back in my brain. You guys are dead meat. I would do one of the house stoves, but I'm away too much and if the house looses heat...well, wife and kids aren't happy. My P61 has gone 45 days before and I think I was burning Penningtons at the time. I have a journal entry hand written somewhere...

BRING IT ON. :coolgrin:

smwilliamson said:
I have some customers that can win this thing with an Englander PDVC-25. Look at this picture, she ran nearly 80 bags through it over 2 seasons... This is how it looked when I got there and yes...it did start up again. Mostly due to the fact that under all of that ash was a smoldering pile of pellets that simply never went out.
2010-02-23%2017.13.02.jpg

I'll enter my new GF55 burning: ---------. The stove is brand new too. Virgin. I do have a modification looming back in my brain. You guys are dead meat. I would do one of the house stoves, but I'm away too much and if the house looses heat...well, wife and kids aren't happy. My P61 has gone 45 days before and I think I was burning Penningtons at the time. I have a journal entry hand written somewhere...

BRING IT ON. :coolgrin:

I can't even see the burnpot in that pic!

SMW,

That's one ugly mess there! Bet it wasn't throwing much heat towards the end. You GF55 burning Spruce Pointes will go a while. You P61 would be a better choice to enter because of the large ash pan.

Just remember once you open the door its game over. This is where the self cleaners will shine. We have proof of an Omega going 10 weeks straight and burned 35 plus bags and the stove was still running. I think Rod was burning Energex which aren't the cleanest on the block. Put a softwood in there like the Spruce Pointes with half the ash content and its 70 bags plus. I think Rod has access to Bear Mountain Douglas fir and they will be even cleaner burning. If you look at the pictures posted the burn pot area is still visable and it will keep burning until the ash fills the ash pan and starts up the stove housing toward the burnpot. There is alot more volume to go! Wish I could get the bigger pictures to post!

If I come to play,(most likely I will not though. Main source of heat and wife cold factor!). Best pellet I found is a toss up between Dragon Mountains or Spruce Pointes. I better stop here, I am giving to much away already!

I will PM Rod and give him a heads up. Hopefully he will come play.

mralias, Has a good point. There should be a impartial judge doing the deed. Eric you still there?

Attachments

• IMG_9505clean.jpg
    IMG_9505clean.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_9527clean.jpg
    IMG_9527clean.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 495
My .02 worth is that if you really want to compare stoves, then use the same or at least comparable fuel in the ones being compared. Then at least you have something to brag about besides having paid a premium for cleaner burning fuel.

Or have stoves in different categories so they are always competing using the same fuel. (Marth vs Marth, Cubex vs Cubex, or something close etc.)

I've already talked myself out of taking part in this. I'm a chicken-$h!t but I'll be watching for the results !

kinsman stoves said:
slls said:

Eric

Yes, but at what efficiency. Ash is a insulator, so heat will be wasted out the vent. I got into the habit of spending 10 minutes each day cleaning mine, the heat output per bag is assume. Look at my sig, will have left over fuel come spring.

interesting topic......

I'd participate if the poll was looking for the opposite results, meaning the stove that would require the MOST cleaning......my Englander 25-PDV would be the winner for sure ....LOL...

slls said:
kinsman stoves said:
slls said:

Eric

Yes, but at what efficiency. Ash is a insulator, so heat will be wasted out the vent. I got into the habit of spending 10 minutes each day cleaning mine, the heat output per bag is assume. Look at my sig, will have left over fuel come spring.

slls - How did you manage to shoot that avatar? Did you hold the shutter open?

Status
Not open for further replies.