Would you recommend your gas insert? why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TahoeJim

Dec 24, 2020
South Lake Tahoe
Hi.
We are thinking of converting our wood burning insert to a gas insert, and would love some brand/model recommendations. There seems to be quite a variety of manufacturers and not a lot of real-world reviews online.
The previous owner spent a bunch of money on the real stone hearth, which we love! So we'd like to install a gas insert that preserves the stone hearth/surround (opening is 42" wide by 35.5" tall if it matters.)
Our priorities are: 1) sealed so no more downdraft, 2) realistic looking as possible, 3) good heat output with super-quiet blower (I hate fan noise!). I'd read or watched video somewhere that non-reflective glass helped realism? this is where I'm at....

Would love to hear any first hand experience out there. TY!
Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 4.02.39 PM.png

If that is your current unit (appreciate the dog tax), you are not replacing a wood insert, but rather putting an insert into an open wood fireplace -however it looks like maybe it was a Zero Clearance or prefabbed unit. Be mindful of that, and I would have quotes done to ensure everything is done properly.

Some advice based on your details:

Well, since 2015 the required screens tend to cut down on any related reflective glass issues, so I would not let that influence your decision.

Pick what you like based on the unit's aesthetics both with flames on and flames off (most folks forget they still have to look at the thing the other 6-8 months of the year). Sometimes the better flame may be in a much worse overall package, or vice versa.

Valor (Miles Industries) make some good insert units that do not have a blower at all - built to be very effective convection heaters, so they might be the best way to combat your hatred for noisy blowers.

Thank you @Tech Guru. Your comments were more helpful than you might have expected.
Yes, it's a prefab box.
Just so I understand.... if we get a gas insert, the entire unit just "inserts"/slides into my current prefab fire box? (yes, I'm probably revealing my ignorance here...) Or will the installer be cutting my current prefab box out and putting in a new box?

The Valor G4 looks pretty good, with the exception that the front 'window' is 28x18 for the large... but maybe that is normal?
If I want to measure fit do I measure the full metal-to metal opening? or what would slide into the the opening without removing/cutting anything?

BTW, we punched out the gas knockout in the back of the prefab a few years ago and put in a decorative gas log set... big mistake! It looks nice but makes the room *colder* than it otherwise would be, as code says you need to have the flue affixed open... the room was already challenged with panorama windows but now it can be 10-13 degrees colder than our dining room where our soapstone wood burning stove is.