1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wrench organization

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by EatenByLimestone, Oct 24, 2013.

1. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I'm going to try to organize my wrenches again. I don't like having a bin full of them and having to shuffle them all around to find the 3/8" or 9mm wrench.

I also inherited some odd wrenches in 32nds and 64ths so the commercially available stuff probably wouldn't work or be stupid expensive.

What do you do for your storage?

Matt

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    Let me know when you've got it figured out. I'm still on the quest for the one wrench that rules them all.

"Hey! This thing grips like a gator! "
  3. festerw

festerw Member

Loc:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
  4. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    I hung a piece of lath between two studs in the garage and then put drywall screws across the length of the lath.
  5. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    And you could use a marker to write the size next to the screws. That way you'll know which one is missing, and you'll find it easier to find the wrench you're looking for.
  6. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Where do you store the wrenches?
    Portable (handheld) toolbox, roll-around tool box with a drawer, wall, other?
  7. EatenByLimestone

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I put a line of screws in an area near my work bench and then organized them according to size and type (metric vs. non-metric) . . . this has worked out pretty well for me. Now I have to do something similar for the jumble of sockets in my toolbox.
  9. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    wrench.jpg
    Frozen Canuck likes this.
  10. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    At home I have 2 little racks like festerw's first link. one metric, one imperial. Mine are Craftsman & maybe $5. They hang on my hillbilly pegboard (old panelling with finish nails) for one-off use and when I need a few at once I can take down the whole set.
    At work I bought roll pouches like festerw's 2'nd link. Mounted on pegboard hooks. They work about the same, but less likely to drop one while carrying.
    If I find a device that automatically returns the wrench to the proper slot I'll be all set.
  11. EatenByLimestone

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I picked up a few more of these in the 3 sizes:

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/1-4-quarter-inch-socket-rail-39721.html

They are a little light on the quality compared to my other cheapies that I got years ago, but hold them well enough and for a dollar each I can't complain.

Matt
  12. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I use of these from various manufactures.
    [​IMG]
    Keeps them sorted by type and size.
  13. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I prefers these in drawers. (from Festerw's post above)
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/HANSEN-Universal-Wrench-Rack-5NLN5
    For combination wrenches I alternate their storage direction by size (closed end versus open end). That way its easy to identify the sizes without having to read the lettering.
    Here's an interesting arrangement with two organizer types. I use both types. This is not my drawer, way too neat.
    [​IMG]
  14. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    I agree with semipro, however I wish mine looked like that.
  15. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    This is one of the cases where you need to find a tool truck (Snap on, Matco, Mac etc) and see what they have. The racks we pros use are hard to find outside of the dealers that service the pros. You can also check their web sites, but I like to actually see what I'm buying.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  16. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    If you have enough drawers you can dedicate one for each type and just lay them down in order. Take one out, use it, and then put it back. I have a large HF toolbox that allows me to do this and I can always find the wrenches.

Before that I had the big clothes pin thing that is just a big loop where you put each wrench on in order and when you need a particular wrench you spin around the opening in the clothes pin until your desired wrench is at the opening and then retrieve it.

I don't want to leave wrenches out hanging on a wall. Too many relatives and friends have lost tools this way.
  17. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I do the laid out in order in the drawer plan. It works well if you have the drawer space....as long as you don't take too many out at a time.
  18. MDFisherman

MDFisherman Member

Loc:
    So. MD
    I hang mine On pegboard. Endless amount of expansion I have my metric standard 6 and 12 point all separated
  19. jeffesonm

jeffesonm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central NJ
    No help on the wrenches... mine are also annoying me in a big pile.

But I did recently buy a set of these for my sockets and am seriously loving them

[​IMG]