WS DIY-Install In Progress = Questions / Take a Look!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kolbyTheDog

Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2007
Central Illinois
Hi Everybody!

After bout 2 years of stove shopping I finally found a good deal on a used stove (a barely used "Large" Regency R6 from 1991 with gold door, pedestal, air mate, and blower) and a great deal on 9 Feet of Metalbestos Class A chimney. I'm tackling this install myself - first stove I've ever installed. I've done a lot of reading on this website and I'm confident that the project will be a success.

So far I have the Metalbestos ceiling support (6T-FSP) installed, next step is to cut the hole though my roof and install the pipe. As you can see I have a pretty shallow pitch to my roof so there wasn't much room to maneuver in the attic. I'll have to drop all the pipe down from the hole in the roof...

Two Questions:

Do I need to install the insulation shield? I don't have blown in / loose insulation. My clearance is so tight I can't fit the shield over the support box right now, but I might have more space when I cut the hole in the roof. That will put the dome of the insulation shield inside the roof flashing - is that ok? Or, should I use tin snips to cut the shield down to fit under the roof? If I do that, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a sheet of metal and make a cone of my own?

Also, does anyone have any tips or tricks or step by step pictures or completed close up pictures of the roof part? I've never done any roof / shingle work before. I was looking at the shingles on the side of my garden shed this afternoon and it looks like they just pop up fairly easily so I can just slide the flashing under the highest shingle and then put some roofing caulk around all the edges?

I've been taking pics at every step of the way so far and plan to post a comprehensive write up of the whole install process for the benefit of other DIY installers. It took quite a lot of searching to find some pictures about what goes on in the attic part of the install. I thought it would be too complicated to do myself but after finding a few pics here and there on the web the mystery of the attic is gone!

Let me know what you think of my install so far.

Thanks!

Attachments

• WS DIY-Install In Progress = Questions / Take a Look!
    boxupclose.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 656
    bsupportdone.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 642
    shieldpic.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 668
    inside.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 637
The main thing to be concerned about is maintaining or exceeding the pipe mfg. required clearances to combustibles. With an older stove I would err on the exceeding side. I'll let Hog jump in for the best roofing procedures.

I started a lonngggg typed instructions and felt it would just make ya more confused. As it is long and drawn out.
So I found a link. Pretty descriptive. If you have any other questions just ask, and I can go into detail.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/home_improvement/1275766.html?page=1

And watch yer noggin on those nails through the roof. Spiked myself many a times on them suckers. It hurts.

kolbyTheDog said:
Sweet! I wish I had that link last week! I would have the stove installed by now! Thanks!

No problem, thats what we are here for. I feel like I was too impatient to type it all out. This seemed easier for both you & me LOL. I would have had your head spinning, along with mine. Hope it helps ya.

Yep, I drilled a pilot hole from inside the attic though the roof, then went up on the roof and measured a circle and used a jig saw to cut a hole in the roof. Make sure you put the flashing in right - I didn't and now I have a rainwater leak! :( Check out my posts for the details.

Also, you can see in the pictures how I used 4 steel truss support thingies that I got at Lowes to hold the 2x4s to the ceiling joists - this was a big mistake as the stove support box has 4 holes for screws on the corners to hold the decorative flashing up flush to the ceiling above the stove. Guess where those 4 screws need to go - right into wood that is now covered up by those steel truss supports! DOH!

Don't cut a circle. Well, you can cut a circle but you'll need to make it an oval with the longer ends uphill and downhill.
A (the diameter of your hole) squared + B (the rise of your roof relative to the horiz. A) squared = C (the longest part of your oval) squared.
Or, you could just run a plumb bob off all 4 sides of your lower hole and drill up through to show the width and length of your oval.
Actually, you can make a rectangle if it's easier. It doesn't need to be pretty unless it's a finished ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.