1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

X25 v X27

Post in 'The Gear' started by 1750, Nov 14, 2013.

1. 1750

1750 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I want to get a friend a gift of a splitting axe.

You all seem to like the Fiskars line quite a bit -- I don't really hear another being discussed.

He's about 6 ft tall and weighs around 190#s. In good shape and understands splitting wood.

I was thinking to go with the X27, but would be happy to go with the smaller model if there was a reason to do so.

If you have any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Prof

Prof Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western PA
    I like the x27 a lot. The x25 seemed a bit short to me, and I'm not a tall guy. The x27 keeps the razor sharp edge away from my shins. Any Fiskars would be a great gift!
  3. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    X27

I have both. I'm 6'0", and its 36" length fits me better.
  4. jeffesonm

jeffesonm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central NJ
    I am 6'2", have both, and the 36" is a way better fit.
  5. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I'm just short of 6"2 and can't figure out what that has to do with handle length. I like the short handle. What saves my shins is a chopping block.
  6. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    That's easy. In general, taller folk prefer the longer handle on the X27. There are exceptions.

In fact, when the original Fiskars Super Splitting Axe (not the X25) was introduced at 28", it seemed to be very well liked, but taller folk clamored in forums and product reviews for a longer handle. Fiskars obliged.

Can taller folk learn to swing a 28" axe? Sure, but the these axes are tweeners--not quite the weight of a typical splitting maul yet not the shape of a standard chopping/felling axe. Some folks like to use their larger maul swing with these Fiskars axes, and some folks don't split on blocks.
  7. BCC_Burner

BCC_Burner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wasatch Front: 7800'
    X27, I don't know why you would ever want a shorter handled splitting tool unless it was hatchet sized and meant to be used one handed.

A chopping axe, possibly but for splitting, give me the longest handle you can. And I'm only 5'7''.
  8. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
  9. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    5'8" and love the 27. Stand a little further away. Much better leverage.
  10. 1750

1750 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Thanks, everyone.

I couldn't find this at any of the local stores (and the Fiskars website is surprisingly little help locating a local retailer), so I ordered this online tonight through Amazon. FYI -- $47 and free shipping!
  11. lostDuck

lostDuck New Member

Loc:
    Windsor, CT
    I just bought the x25 and returned it for the x27. I felt the x25 was too short....
  12. parthy

parthy New Member

Loc:
    Gimli, MB
    Just received my x25 last night. Haven't used it yet. Hope I didn't make a mistake. I am 55 yrs old with arthritis and 5'8" I was looking at the weight of it . You should see what I have been using. Shakes her head.