X39 Fiskars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

holland_patrick

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2010
Southington CT
Man this is a big bad boy....
ff5e196aa3e5fc460913223d2c8d1991.jpg

Stable striking surface of a polymer with a steel ring.
Dampens vibration at impact, thereby reducing the risk of cracks in the material.
The wide blade on the trunks of trees and removal of lateral branches.
Wide, rounded surfaces are easier to use than the wedges.
In particular, a stable core of glass fibers.
Comfortable and anti-slip grip.
Rubber - Protects Topor and reduces vibration.
Length 90 cm
Weight 3900 g

The X27
Fiskars Splitting Axe X27 stop at a block without any major problems with it can sting even the largest pieces of wood.
Directly I destined for processing large quantities of wood such as the long winter season.
With this you ax for splitting wood becomes entertainment.
With its unique design saves you a lot of strength and it is possible to work with long periods of time without undue fatigue, back and arms.
Technical parameters:
Overall length: 92 cm
Total weight: 2600 g

the X25
Product Dimensions:
Weight (kg): 2,430
Height (cm): 72.00

And even bigger.

fiskars x46 - 4600 grams
1296467692-1901.jpg

I believe that's about 10lbs. I'd love to give these a try but I don't think they are available in the states yet.

trailmaker said:
And even bigger.

fiskars x46 - 4600 grams
1296467692-1901.jpg

I believe that's about 10lbs. I'd love to give these a try but I don't think they are available in the states yet.

Ho;y $hit........... Not on amazon.com yet. Or has not came up on any "Fiskars" search.

They need to come out with a 6# "quads signature model." :)

Woody Stover said:
The first one pictured has me intrigued.....

holland_patrick said:
quads said:
Woody Stover said:
The first one pictured has me intrigued.....

you and me both but if i'm going i'll go big

As far as I can tell those bigger fiskars aren't available here at the moment. There is another company called Halder making some pretty interesting splitters that use polymers.
3007160.jpg

3007750.jpg
Spalt_Explosion.gif

http://www.halder.de/produkte/artgroup.asp?k=5&g=56&s=us&menu=296&submenu=products

They have a distributor in Wisconsin. I ordered the larger one for 177$. It's 9lbs overall I believe, should arrive this week.

trailmaker said:
They have a distributor in Wisconsin. I ordered the larger one for 177$. It's 9lbs overall I believe, should arrive this week.
Oops. My intrigue just turned flaccid......

quads said:
trailmaker said:

WOW!!!!! $177... No Thanks. It better split my wood and fetch my beers.... I would have just bought a X27 and saved the rest for a Hyd Splitter..

Looks nice. But I dont think all that technology can help out that much. You still have to swing it. Swinging it "Correctly" is half the battle.

DexterDay said:
quads said:
trailmaker said:

WOW!!!!! $177... No Thanks. It better split my wood and fetch my beers.... I would have just bought a X27 and saved the rest for a Hyd Splitter..

Looks nice. But I dont think all that technology can help out that much. You still have to swing it. Swinging it "Correctly" is half the battle.

Yeah I have a bad case of splitter addiction disorder, this will be my ninth manual splitter. I figure it's cheap compared to those guys with "chainsaw addiction disorder".
Concerning the X27; I haven't been overly impressed with mine. I think the new head design was a step backwards, they should have just made a 36in version of the SSA.

I had wondered when Fiskars was going to get some mauls out??? The Halder company has some interesting stuff there too. I was dead set on my 20+yr. old maul, proved, & broken in. Often times the newer fiberglass maul handles feel slick and transmit vibration that I do not prefer. Fiskars and the Halder company seem to have a much better fit and finish, although high tech looking...

RNLA said:
I had wondered when Fiskars was going to get some mauls out??? The Halder company has some interesting stuff there too. I was dead set on my 20+yr. old maul, proved, & broken in. Often times the newer fiberglass maul handles feel slick and transmit vibration that I do not prefer. Fiskars and the Halder company seem to have a much better fit and finish, although high tech looking...

Currently the "heavy artillery" in my line up is a 20+ year old 8lb maul handled with 36in Hickory. I too like the dampening effect that wood has which is why I'm more excited about the Halder than I am about the Fiskars. Not only does the Halder use a hickory handle but it looks like the head connects to the housing via a polymer cylinder. This should reduce vibration even more.

trailmaker said:
RNLA said:

Currently the "heavy artillery" in my line up is a 20+ year old 8lb maul handled with 36in Hickory. I too like the dampening effect that wood has which is why I'm more excited about the Halder than I am about the Fiskars. Not only does the Halder use a hickory handle but it looks like the head connects to the housing via a polymer cylinder. This should reduce vibration even more.

Do you have pics of some of your artillery? Always love it when people post pics of there tools. I love any pics. 9 manuals (mauls/axes) is a lot. I got an old maul, the X27, 3 wegdes, 2 sledges, 3 hatchet, and a "Woodsman tool" (kinda like a hatchet/machete),. Maybe I will run out and take a pic of it here in a bit. Chainsaws are expensive. Looking to add another BIG cc Husqvarna to my line-up...... Then there is the 21 ton MTD. Whole other ball game there.....

$177? Are they joking? :lol: :lol: No damn way.This works for me,on the tougher stuff that just makes the X25 & my 5lb Plumb double bit either bounce off or get stuck.31 yrs old now,18+ pounds total weight with newer 1/4" thick wall pipe handle.It was so snug fitting I had to drive it down on original round bar handle with 12lb sledge,still threw a bead around the joint though.

Just glad I dont have to swing it as often as when younger....

Attachments

• maul2.jpg
    maul2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,144
  • maul3.jpg
    maul3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 904
I have been having great results with my Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe. The one with the 28" handle and 2 1/4 lb head. It is almost as effective as the bigger 4 1/4 lb Super Splitting Axe, and I can swing it for hours and feel fine the next day. These precision tools don't have to be heavy, you just have know how and where to swing them. I don't think I would even be able to properly swing my old 6 lb. long handled maul any more. Those big ones sure do look impressive, but neither will be on my wish list.

DexterDay said:
trailmaker said:
RNLA said:

Do you have pics of some of your artillery? Always love it when people post pics of there tools. I love any pics. 9 manuals (mauls/axes) is a lot. I got an old maul, the X27, 3 wegdes, 2 sledges, 3 hatchet, and a "Woodsman tool" (kinda like a hatchet/machete),. Maybe I will run out and take a pic of it here in a bit. Chainsaws are expensive. Looking to add another BIG cc Husqvarna to my line-up...... Then there is the 21 ton MTD. Whole other ball game there.....

Here's most of my arsenal including some ancillary devices.
IMG_0204-1.jpg

I've got a longer True Temper out on loan and a De Wit splitting axe that had to be sent back for a replacement (it arrived with a loose handle).

Flatbedford said:
I have been having great results with my Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe. The one with the 28" handle and 2 1/4 lb head. It is almost as effective as the bigger 4 1/4 lb Super Splitting Axe, and I can swing it for hours and feel fine the next day. These precision tools don't have to be heavy, you just have know how and where to swing them. I don't think I would even be able to properly swing my old 6 lb. long handled maul any more. Those big ones sure do look impressive, but neither will be on my wish list.

That's good to hear, I've been thinking about snatching one of these up since I think they are out of production. What type of wood are you splitting with it, how long are the rounds?

Thistle said:
$177? Are they joking? :lol: :lol: No damn way.This works for me,on the tougher stuff that just makes the X25 & my 5lb Plumb double bit either bounce off or get stuck.31 yrs old now,18+ pounds total weight with newer 1/4" thick wall pipe handle.It was so snug fitting I had to drive it down on original round bar handle with 12lb sledge,still threw a bead around the joint though.

Just glad I dont have to swing it as often as when younger....
I have the same monster maul with the original handle. how the heck did you hurt the original handle? I love that thing, ashamed to say I do not use it as much, but it sure comes in handy. I broke my hand last week working on my Bobcat and it has put a real damper on my golf and wood processing, my two passions. My drinking hand is still good.

trailmaker said:
DexterDay said:
trailmaker said:
RNLA said:

IMG_0204-1.jpg

I've got a longer True Temper out on loan and a De Wit splitting axe that had to be sent back for a replacement (it arrived with a loose handle).
Quite any arsenal there, you might say overkill. But I feel your passion.

Trailmaker, tell me about the GRANSFORS do you like it? I love the feel but the dealer will not let me actually hit wood with it... I would have bought one years ago if they made a 8-9 pounder. I believe my next purchase will be an x27 unless the mauls come available soon. X46 nice!

Trailmaker, do you like that "bullet" wedge better than a V wedge? Im going to order this maul and was going to try one of those too.
Looks like you have the maul Im ordering.

119915_lg.jpg

19789_lg.jpg

RNLA said:
Trailmaker, tell me about the GRANSFORS do you like it? I love the feel but the dealer will not let me actually hit wood with it... I would have bought one years ago if they made a 8-9 pounder. I believe my next purchase will be an x27 unless the mauls come available soon. X46 nice!

The Gransfors is excellent. It arrived razor sharp and I keep it that way which means good penetration. It has a pretty wide head that really pops wood apart and the handle feels good and really dampens vibration. It feels heavy duty compared to the Fiskars but it's lighter than the old school 8 pounder.

trailmaker said:
DexterDay said:
trailmaker said:
RNLA said:

IMG_0204-1.jpg

Holy $hit...... Great looking Rigs you got. Why dont you put anything in your "Signature". Let people know what you have! I mainly use my Hyd. Splitter, not my Fiskars. Your "Signature", is kinda like "Braggin Rights". I got this... Oh Yeah..... I got THIS! Another thing it helps with is when you have a problem. If you say. "I cant get a good burn". But no-one knows what kind of stove you have.... It does no good to try and help... You may have an old FISHER Papa Bear and We think you have an New EPA Rig.... Just sayin, it helps to put it out there (what you got)

weatherguy said:
Trailmaker, do you like that "bullet" wedge better than a V wedge? Im going to order this maul and was going to try one of those too.
Looks like you have the maul Im ordering.

119915_lg.jpg

19789_lg.jpg

I do prefer the bullet wedge over the v wedge shown, although I have a v wedge not pictured that is very good. It is made by Estwing.

I haven't used that 12lb red, Truper maul very much to be honest. It seemed to transmit too much vibration and shock, and since I love splitting I don't want to wear my body out too soon. I'm going to give it another try since they seem to have a cult following.

The maul on the far right in my picture is an 8lb head I found in a barn re-handled with cheap hardware hickory. It can bust up just about any round and is very easy on the joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.