Xtrordinair 44 elite 20 year old but never used. What to do

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AustinNWA

Dec 15, 2023
Fayetteviile, Arkansas
We are buying an older house that we thought we got lucky because it has an Xtraordinair 44 elite that has probably only been used 15 to 20 times.

The unit is probably 15-20 years old, has brass doors and such that can be changed out.
But a chimney sweep came today and said it probably has a good two or three years in it due to age of old catalytic.

His stove store says they can replace the doors and all kinds of components in it except for anything to do with the catalytic.

Does anyone have a workaround or 3rd party/aftermarket option?

Thx for your wisdom.

We are buying an older house that we thought we got lucky because it has an Xtraordinair 44 elite that has probably only been used 15 to 20 times.

The unit is probably 15-20 years old, has brass doors and such that can be changed out.
But a chimney sweep came today and said it probably has a good two or three years in it due to age of old catalytic.

His stove store says they can replace the doors and all kinds of components in it except for anything to do with the catalytic.

Does anyone have a workaround or 3rd party/aftermarket option?

Thx for your wisdom.

IMG_7746.jpeg

Kinda pricy but they still sell them:

And how does he know how much use is left on the cat? I dont know how its possible with out running it.

Kinda pricy but they still sell them:

Rick,
You are the man ! Thank you so so much.

That is weird that the fireplace store locally that sells this brand said they can’t get these any longer. I guess the manufacturer doesn’t make them and this is evidently third-party or off market ?

But you think it will work? Because for $400 I’m glad to do it and not be out $10,000 to put in a new unit.

Thx again !

And how does he know how much use is left on the cat? I dont know how its possible with out running it.
You’re right that could be an indication I didn’t get a very good chimney sweep.

We are gonna make a fire in about a week once we close on the house.
What are things I need to look forward to see if it is still working properly. This unit is about 20 years old, so I’m sure they are not near as efficient as the new models.

Inspect the Cat visually. If you can't get a very good look you can likely hold your phone in a position to get a few pics for review. If it's not compromised by being plugged or broken forge ahead with inspecting the rest.
Probably should get the owner/operator manual downloaded so you know how it functions before anything else!

Inspect the Cat visually. If you can't get a very good look you can likely hold your phone in a position to get a few pics for review. If it's not compromised by being plugged or broken forge ahead with inspecting the rest.
Probably should get the owner/operator manual downloaded so you know how it functions before anything else!
Great point

You’re right that could be an indication I didn’t get a very good chimney sweep.

We are gonna make a fire in about a week once we close on the house.
What are things I need to look forward to see if it is still working properly. This unit is about 20 years old, so I’m sure they are not near as efficient as the new models.
I would say it is plenty "efficient", the cat will keep the pipe cleaner that will be the benefit and allow you to burn lower and slower.