1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Xxv spots on outside stove

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by nayslayer, Jul 8, 2012.

1. nayslayer

nayslayer Member

Loc:
    wallkill,ny
    During my end of year cleaning I wiped down the outside of stove with damp sponge. I have noticed little spots on it and appears to look like rust starting. I sprayed and wiped down areas with wd40 and appeared to fix issue, but I now see its back. Any ideas? Thanks

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Being a Yankees fan I guess I could offer you some help. You are dealing with cast iron, to make it short and sweet use WD or any oil based spray on your next rub down. Looks like before you get to that stage now you will need mineral spirits, sand paper, and satin black stove paint.:cool:
  3. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Is this something that generally happens to cast iron?
    My new wood insert has some cast iron panels on it.
    They already have a finish...I can't see slapping some oil on it.
    The manual mentions nothing.
  4. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Moisture and cast iron don't get along well, my XXV is a 2011 and still looks brand new, prior to that stove I had a 2004 Accentra in which I had to repaint almost every year. I think Regencey has better paint adhesion/coating process, their stoves are bullet-proof. You might want to do a search on cast iron I am sure you can find allot of answers and procedures for the care of cast, hope this helps.
  5. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

is the unit in the basement? Is humidity high where the stove is? Will probably get worse.......I'd sandblast or sand the stove (preferably sandblast) and put a good coat of paint on it. Finish isnt covered under warrantee, so, its all on you, especially since you are a Yankees Fan.
  6. nayslayer

nayslayer Member

Loc:
    wallkill,ny
    Thanks for the info guys even if your spoiled Yankee fans, I appreciate it. I think its just from me Wiping it down with a probably more than damp sponge....
  7. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Any time you use water on cast you have to immediately go over it with a dry cloth and get every last bit of moisture off.or it will rust. The same thing happens if you wash a cast iron skillet, you never let those air dry (Well maybe once, then the Mrs. uses it up side your head).
    Eatonpcat, smoke show and Defiant like this.
  8. nayslayer

nayslayer Member

Loc:
    wallkill,ny
    Thanks, it was an idiotic thing to do
  9. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Don't drip salsa on the stove either...that eats off the paint.

Forrest Industries, Stove Bright, Satin Black...that's the paint that will match, quick and easy to spray a few areas and it blends in beautifully.
  10. nayslayer

nayslayer Member

Loc:
    wallkill,ny
    Ok thanks. I'll try to get the rust off then spray away