Yankee Bay / Lopi Combustion Blower - Should it spin freely?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joshuatobin

Jan 2, 2018
NY
Hi - I'm troubleshooting an issue with my yankee bay pellet insert. I've been trying to track down a "knocking" sound with the unit. I took it apart tonight and cleaned the combustion blower and noticed the the blades do not spin freely when spinning it with my hand. Is this normal? I assumed that it would take little to no effort to spin with one finger, and then of course spin a few rotations. I'm starting to suspect the bearings are shot but was hoping someone could confirm. The knocking sound does go away if I apply pressure to the motor when its in use and mounted to the housing, however no matter how tight I crank the bolts down that are attached to the rubber gromets the knocking continues. The part number is Lopi # 93005535

Thanks in advance.

Is the impeller blade bent at all? Or is there something in the housing that it can make contact with? Yes the motor should spin freely. A drop of 3 in1 oil on each end of the armature shaft might free it up

Thanks for your reply Ssyko. Yeah I tried some 3/1 oil and it didn't seem to help much. I guess I'll try replacing the motor.