Yesterday's Observations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
The family and I went on an outing yesterday that included about a 150 mile round-trip drive, mostly on rural secondary highway. I saw numerous homes with freshly cut and split firewood piled up next to the house, on the porch, in the driveway. I drive this route fairly regularly and have never seen much in the way of firewood before. I can only assume it is for this winter. They must not be hearth.com members because, even from the road, I could see that most of it was green. These weren't recreational burning piles either...a lot were several cord in size.

I created a thread a week or so back about a big score of oak. I was out splitting yesterday (before the outing) and the neighbor comes over and mentions how all the wood will keep me warm this winter. You should have seen the look on his face when I said "this wood won't be ready until '12/'13 heating season, but I won't need it until probably the year after that". I pointed to the 10 cord in the wood shed and said "I'm going to burn this first".

Don't feel bad Luke, we have the very same thing happen here every fall.

I've recently been watching a young fellow cutting down dead and dieing ash and he is selling it at $40 per face cord. He is selling it as fast as he can cut it! Within just a couple miles of him I saw several other folks who have recently cut their winter's supply of wood. Some just never learn.

There are some folks in the neighborhood that show that they know to "be ready" for winter, with seasoned wood, and then I've also noticed "last minute Sam's" who are just now trying to get things together for THIS winter.

You'll meet all kinds in this world. You help them with what you can, and pray that they don't cut their leg open, or burn their house down!!

-Soupy1957

My neighbor just told me he was thinking about doing his mid-winter cutting & splitting early because he already had the logs down.
He does clean his chimney once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.