Yesterday's score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
Spent about 4 hours yesterday splitting some of this up and got just over a cord from it. That was about 1/2 the wood there. Probably going to go back this weekend and get the rest. Split oak smells oh so good.

Attachments

• Wood 5.jpg
    Wood 5.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: Shane N
That must have been a monster oak. Nice score!

I'm wondering why they were cut so short? For sure that makes splitting a lot easier but also makes for a lot of sawdust gone and that part can't be burned.

Awesome score
Looks like it should split nice too :)

Serious BTUs there in a couple years ;)

Look like they're 12 or 14 inch. Probably a few stacks of there own,
Thats ok, Nice score there.

I did not do the cutting. Most are in the 16 inch range with some being 18 inches. The stump has got to be 36"+. Was going to take a pic of the stump with my MS660 with a 25" bar on it, but we were racing against the sun and traffic so that did not pan out. If I am there this weekend, I will measure the stump. Those rounds are some of the biggest ones I have ever dealt with. Tons of wood out of that thing.

Another way to get an idea for how long the cuts were, is that I was able to put 5 rows in my truck bed that is 8' long with enough for two more logs stacked sideways behind the tailgate. Alright, now I am going to take the tape measure outside and measure them. Curiosity is killing me.

Took 6 measurements of what was on top of the right side of the truck. Got two 14's, two 16's, a 17 and an 18. Should have put the shorter stuff in my dad's trailer since his stove needs 16 or less. My furnace can take 24" logs. I usually cut to 20 or 22 when I am bucking. Going to unload them tomorrow and stack them in a rack. They still smell good.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice score; I like oak firewood. I like how easy it is to split,,,,,,,until you get an ugly piece, not so much fun then

Status
Not open for further replies.