Yikes! Lots O' creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
So I installed my liner last year. I ran 3 months of heavy burning, first using a jotul 602, then using a 602fb (EPA version). Finally got on the roof to sweep and insulate the chimney. Ended up with about 3/4 full of a plastic grocery bag. Seemed like an awful lot. Now, I did burn pretty much whatever I could get my hands on last year, including some mediocre pine and some likely wet oak. Hopefully I'll avoid that this year. Question is is that amount of creosote dangerous? My chimney is about 25'.

Damp wood will do this. I'm glad there wasn't a chimney fire. If the creosote is flakey, then the chimney just needs sweeping more frequently to be safe. Maybe once a month? If there is glazed creosote at the top, there is a more serious issue.

Creosote was powdery. I'm hoping better wood + insulation + EPA stove will help, but I'll for sure be sweeping more often (I said that last year too--tough to motivate to get on the roof and sweep when it's cold out...)

Sounds like you learned Mike. That will be good for your future and don't burn that not well seasoned oak for sure.

nola mike said:
Creosote was powdery. I'm hoping better wood + insulation + EPA stove will help, but I'll for sure be sweeping more often (I said that last year too--tough to motivate to get on the roof and sweep when it's cold out...)

Can you go bottom-up? Sooteater perhaps?

Mike, it might look a little hokey, but until last year, I kept the ladder propped right against the house all winter. Cleaned the flue about once a month. Last year I got up there about 4-5 times, and the only thing that needed to be cleaned was the cap. Pipe was fine with maybe an 1/8" of powdery stuff.
The ladder stays next to the woodshed now.
Until you find the sweet spot, keep checking.

One thing I've always tried to do regarding cleaning is to time it around the weather. I'll burn for early season and then make the time to check and/or sweep just before they call for the first snow wether I've been burning for 1month or 3. If we get a thaw or melt at some point I'll make time to do it then. I too hate being out there with frozen fingers if Mother Nature doesn't offer any weather breaks, but you have to stay safe and do what ya gotta do.

Status
Not open for further replies.