You ain't gonna believe what just happened to me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
My brother is staying over tonight and we have a spare king sized mattress that we needed to move into the basement for he and his significant other. The bed is obviously bigger than the opening at the bottom of the steps so we had to bend into a U to get it down the stairs. It is a very heavy, thick mattress.

stovewithwoodforhearthdotcom.jpg

I was at the top and as the mattress started coming free, it snapped back straight, sending me flying onto the wood pile and stove. Do you know how hot the top of a wood stove going full tilt is?

Not sure if there has been a burn thread yet this year but I'm probably going to have the best story of the year. ;-)

wendell said:
My brother is staying over tonight and we have a spare king sized mattress that we needed to move into the basement for he and his significant other. The bed is obviously bigger than the opening at the bottom of the steps so we had to bend into a U to get it down the stairs. It is a very heavy, thick mattress.

I was at the top and as the mattress started coming free, it snapped back straight, sending me flying onto the wood pile and stove. Do you know how hot the top of a wood stove going full tilt is?

Not sure if there has been a burn thread yet this year but I'm probably going to have the best story of the year. ;-)

Wendall I hope everything is fine, had my thumb slip off the magnetic thermometer on the flue @ 350 degrees. :coolgrin:

zap

newtothis said:
Looks like you need a railing on the stair case.

Didn't need it until now. :red:

Yeah, zap, it hurts like crazy right now and don't think I'll be sleeping very well tonight. Pretty nice second degree burn across the back of my arm.

OUCH! That sounds awful. Take care of that burn.

Second-degree burn
Soak the burn in cool water for 15 minutes. If the burned area is small, put cool, clean, wet cloths on the burn for a few minutes every day. Then put on an antibiotic cream, or other creams or ointments prescribed by your doctor. Cover the burn with a dry nonstick dressing (for example, Telfa) held in place with gauze or tape. Check with your doctor's office to make sure you are up-to-date on tetanus shots.

Change the dressing every day. First, wash your hands with soap and water. Then gently wash the burn and put antibiotic ointment on it. If the burn area is small, a dressing may not be needed during the day. Check the burn every day for signs of infection, such as increased pain, redness, swelling or pus. If you see any of these signs, see your doctor right away. To prevent infection, avoid breaking any blisters that form.

Burned skin itches as it heals. Keep your fingernails cut short and don't scratch the burned skin. The burned area will be sensitive to sunlight for up to one year, so you should apply sunscreen to the area when you're outside.

Just think if that was an englander :lol: Seriously though, I think burns are a part of it. I end up with one singed burn every year. You just hear it sizzle like bacon and think to yourself. "should I look?"

Aloe vera gel kept in the fridge, get yourself to a health food shop or hippie store or Whole Foods or somesuch, and find a bottle of calendula oil. Mix it with the gel, and slather it on good and thick. It'll help keep the burn from forming blisters.

~Rose

Wendell, I was just thinking yesterday that I havn't had a burn this year. The season is still young so I'm sure one is lurking around the corner. Glad that you're ok but keep an eye on that burn for cellulitis.
Rich

You didn't have to make up some crazy story to show us your beautiful woodstove and hearth. ;-)

Thanks! Actually my first thought (well, actually the thought I had after making sure I wasn't touching it any more and rolled off the wood pile) was I hope I didn't knock the stove out of line when I fell onto it. The Morso only has 2 small pins that hold the sides onto the bottoms and the firebox only rests on top of the bottom. Not really designed to have somebody fall on top of it.

wendell said:
Thanks! Actually my first thought (well, actually the thought I had after making sure I wasn't touching it any more and rolled off the wood pile) was I hope I didn't knock the stove out of line when I fell onto it. The Morso only has 2 small pins that hold the sides onto the bottoms and the firebox only rests on top of the bottom. Not really designed to have somebody fall on top of it.

Gosh, i think both of my woodstoves are specifically designed to have people fall on top of them. I'm sure it's written in the owner's manuals. %-P I'm sure glad to hear you're (relatively) OK, and I hope you pay very careful attention to that burn injury...they can get nasty if not properly attended to. Rick

wendell said:

Ouch! I'm with the aloe crowd--I shoved a log in and pinched my finger between the log and the frame of the door--sizzled--and had a blister form, collapse, and get welded into a flap in a nano-second. I felt quite whiney-baby about this very minor burn, so can only imagine a fully fried back! That fall wouldn't have been any fun on a cold stove, adding insult to injury. I keep a huge aloe plant about five steps away from the woodstove, and have been amazed at its ability to minimize pain and healing time.

Might not be the time to say this, but your hearth is otherworldly--really a work of art in the true sense. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

i hope you get all healed up and out of pain soon. i had to reply as i can relate to the matress stuffing , craming story having done it a few times. get well , sincerely pete

I used to work in a steel foundry in the melting department. I got hit with molten steel on a daily basis. I found that Silvadene cream works the best for bad burns. It speeds healing and keeps the burn from scarring very much.

Wow Wendell. I do hope you heal fast. That must have really thrown you pretty hard. You'll probably remember this story for a long, long time.

Others have told what they like so I'll have to add Vitamin E applied directly onto the burn. It works for us and we make sure we always keep some on hand; just in case.

Wow! What a beautiful setup!

Some day that will be funny and a great story to tell, now I am sure it just sucks, I hope you heal quickly.

wendell said:

That was my first thought too as I started reading your story. Was worried that you either damaged the stove or
the pipe. I hate burns. Hope it gets better soon.

OOOOh Man!! Hope your feeling better. I do have to say SWEEEET set up! Love the tile.

Sorry to hear about the burn - think you prolly need lots of bed rest and your brother to bring you lots of beer to make the pain go away ;)

nice slate btw (it is slate right?)- looks like the stuff I used on my LR floor for floor protection.

Wendell - I know a thing or two about burns. First - if the second degree burn area is very big (say...larger than your fist), you should probably consult a doctor. Burns and infection like each other for some reason (I could tell you but its boring). Your body will go into overdrive trying to repair the skin. I was burning more than 6000 calories a day and lost 35 pounds in 3 weeks (I was severely burned, with most being 3rd degree - yeah - a 21 day stint in burn ICU).

Pamper it with plenty of padding. Bumping it sucks. Vitamin E is good stuff. Keeping it lubricated will reduce the itching and cracking as it heals.

Really though - not seeing or knowing your condition - I just want to state...don't mess around if you see anything you don't like. Get it looked at from a pro. Its painful stuff.

Thanks everyone. It blistered up pretty good last night but slathered it with grape seed and lavender oil and it is actually doing surprisingly good this morning.

Thanks for the comments on the stove and hearth. I built a 1 foot pedestal this year for the stove to sit on to make loading easier but unfortunately caught the edge of that in the ribs. Also where my hip hit the wood pile is a little tender today.

As I mentioned, this stove is unlike most stoves in that the firebox is independent of the "legs" so I was giving some more thought to what could have happened last night. Pretty hard to imagine a firebox putting out 1000 degree gasses suddenly disconnected from its flue and legs. Very, very glad that didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.