You can't fix stupid...and I can't be fixed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WHen did tarps become prohibitively expensive.Cover the darn pile already. Old rubber roof pieces are even better as they get pretty hot underneath and bake the moisture out.
Did I say that, I dont cover my single rows and haven't for 35 years with no problems, just cover some of my wood in the winter, it was sort of a joke but you seemed to miss it. This help :);):p==c ?

Stupid can't be fixed....i learned my lesson! However I am just lucky the other pieces didn't rot away either. Stack higher, in more open areas!!

I do believe in covering my stacks now. Why? I found lots of spruce needles decomposed/moulding in between the pieces...and it cause mushrooms/rot!

Reactions: NortheastAl
If you dont cover your wood stack it has to have good circulation, better if it has circulation and sun, not rocket science.

Stupid can't be fixed....i learned my lesson! However I am just lucky the other pieces didn't rot away either. Stack higher, in more open areas!!

I do believe in covering my stacks now. Why? I found lots of spruce needles decomposed/moulding in between the pieces...and it cause mushrooms/rot!
Top cover, especially in damp climates.

Did I say that, I dont cover my single rows and haven't for 35 years with no problems, just cover some of my wood in the winter, it was sort of a joke but you seemed to miss it. This help :);):p==c ?
Although i quoted your reply ,my reply was not directed at you but those who stack in damp areas and leave it rain on their wood on a regular basis and expect it to remain dry. Even in a open area rain will seep down into and remain in places where the wind and sun will never enter and cause bugs if not rot. Iv seen houses rot around second story windows cuz they let a little water in every time it rains,rain gets in but it dont get out.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Seasoned Oak, with my single rows that does not happen, the rows dry out nicely as the wind gets to it very well. never have had a problem with rot. I dont have any bug either.

Although i quoted your reply ,my reply was not directed at you but those who stack in damp areas and leave it rain on their wood on a regular basis and expect it to remain dry. Even in a open area rain will seep down into and remain in places where the wind and sun will never enter and cause bugs if not rot. Iv seen houses rot around second story windows cuz they let a little water in every time it rains,rain gets in but it dont get out.
I can speak for myself only: lots of my maple bark was coming off completely and there was TONS of bugs underneath. I even found earthworms in various pieces...pretty darn rotten at that point.

I can speak for myself only: lots of my maple bark was coming off completely and there was TONS of bugs underneath. I even found earthworms in various pieces...pretty darn rotten at that point.
Same here, all the bark fell off and it was crawling with bugs underneath. This area has high humidity all summer. wood looks dry on top but its wet underneath. But as noted cover the top only, not the sides.

Just to show that we don't worry about stacking high off the ground, check these two pictures. But then, many times we've also stacked right direct on the ground. We can get away with that in some areas because of the type of ground we have. But most times we'll put something there to stack on even if it is only 2-3" in diameter. It does not pose a problem but it could for some. It all depends upon where you are stacking and what type of ground you have. Well, it can also depend a bit on how much rainfall you have.

Ends-1.JPG Ends-2.JPG

Forgot to add that our friend, quads, always stacked his wood on the ground. When taking wood from his stacks, he would simply place that bottom row of logs on the top of another pile so it would dry out for the following year. He also cut mostly oak, oak and more oak.

Well all that wood is now stacked behind my house. Full sun for 8-10 hours and wind. I am also going to put and high grade commercial fan outside (LOL) so that it helps when there's no wind!!! I have never seen that much bark come off of maple in my life.......soaking wet under the bark. However it seems to be down to 32-30% moisture. I just wanna be able to suck another 6-8 out of it by winter time!!

Andrew

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I have a kind-of lousy location for my wood too, but its the only place I have, and I have to make it work. That is why I like to top cover it, and believe me, if you can keep the rain off of it, it makes a HUGE difference......

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Update: so after using a wheelbarrow to move 3 cords of wood and re-stack in the back of my house (sun for 6-8 hours a day and it gets HOT), I have started checking the MC in several pieces of wood. Good news: the MC has dropped to 25-27 %! I think the wood was ready to be dried but just needed the environment to allow the moisture to leave the wood! Yay! It took me about 4-5 hours to move the cords and re-stack.

Lots of maple to burn this winter. YAY.

Thanks for the comments

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.