you ever just grab a piece and think - damn that’s a nice split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is more than one piece of nice splits.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 206
I have some beautiful ,Sugar Maple in my pile. Curly,fiddle back, tiger stripe, flame. I probably could have sold it for a high price if I was smart enough to cut it into guitar blanks( but Im not). When I find a really nice piece in my pile I set it aside and give to coworker whom likes to make jewelry boxes for his numerous daughters. I have plenty of wood to burn. No sense in burning up the figured fancy wood.

I keep a pile of the special pieces aside from the main pile... extra large oak knots, buck brush/manzanita stumps that I dragged home on my bike, odd/dense scar tissue, etc. This is the first year I've dipped into some California Live Oak that I scored a couple years ago. Burns super clean and hot. The only wood I burn that has no familiarity like this is the fruitwood I get from the local orchards.

Status
Not open for further replies.