You guys are making me all modern. Just received my SS liner today from TheHeatElement. Got a few

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
First this site made me do an inspection beyond what I paid for when I bought the house and I found my thimble was inadequate so I rebuilt it. Then, because of reading about you guys heating your homes in places further north than I am w/ less wood you convinced me to try and modify my fisher. With some success, I decided to then sell my beloved Fisher and buy an englander, now I am lining my chimney! Here's where I am at:

I received my SS liner from TheHeatElement today. I was amazed at the light weight of it. It's a 20 foot 6 in liner going down a chimney that is 6.75 x 6.75.

The roof is easy to walk on. Do you suggest I need a helper or can this be done as a one man job?

By the weight alone it doesn't seem like it would be that bad. But of course, I haven't uncoiled that liner yet.

Opinions would be great.

Thanks.

pen

I always like to have two people, the other person is a huge help to get the liner started going down straiaght as possible no kinks in the end to hang up on things. Tape the end of pipe (duct tape) just the edge though. After that send the other person down to grab the end of the liner and get the whole thing lined up. This can go easy or hard depending on if the tiles are lined up good or not, offsets,old thimbles, you get what I mean. It can go as quick as 10 mins. or most of the day. Good luck and be safe.

That's what I was going to ask next. Does this stuff have much memory or does it straighten out pretty good? Should I fish it down like wire by taping rope to the end and having someone above feeding and someone below pulling?

Thanks

pen

You well find out in the first 10 mins. Some brands are hard to straighten others staighten right out It never hurts to tie a rope on the end to help guide it down and pull on when it needs it.

Pen is that a liner kit with a tee? If so, how in the world are you going to get a tee down that small of a chimney opening?

BrotherBart said:
Pen is that a liner kit with a tee? If so, how in the world are you going to get a tee down that small of a chimney opening?

Because of the design of my chimney (here is a pic to show the cleanout)

chimney003.jpg

There will be no cleanout.

Instead, it'll be like many other's in my area where I'll have a 90 at the bottom and have to pull the stove pipe off to suck out the creosote when sweeping. W/ basement installs having no cleanout is common so I'll be fine. i'll just have to slide the liner down, I'll have to use a chisel and break some tile apart at the thimble so I can insert the 90, then hook the stove up. Here's a pic of what I'll break out for the 90.

chimney017.jpg

Basically, I'll have to remove the shoulder on the tile that keeps my current pipe from sticking into the flue.

Any other advice? Since it is a tight fit, I don't know if I'll even be able to get much of any insulation to fit around the liner. I'm considering blocking off the bottom and filling the corners w/ vermiculite. My math shows it would take very little so I'm not sure if it's even worth trying.

pen

Nice stove! Hope the install goes well (the dedication to woodburning appears to know no bounds here!) and that you are thrilled with the performance of your new setup!

pen said:
Any other advice? Since it is a tight fit, I don't know if I'll even be able to get much of any insulation to fit around the liner. I'm considering blocking off the bottom and filling the corners w/ vermiculite. My math shows it would take very little so I'm not sure if it's even worth trying.

pen
That's basically what I did with mine. I'm not sure how much I got around the liner, but I used loose fill perlite and didn't get quite a whole bag in. Actually, I over ordered and have an extra 4 cu/ft bag sitting in my garage unopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.