1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

You know it's HOT when.....

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by SmokinPiney, Jun 25, 2010.

1. SmokinPiney

SmokinPiney Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    In the Pines, NJ
    Ya see a truckload of fresh cut oak layin roadside on your way home from work, and ya just keep on drivin by makin excuses to yourself for why ya didnt stop. Somehow after workin 8hrs in 95+deg, loadin my pickup full of wood just didnt sound fun at the time haha.

But! After the storms rolled through here last night i got a call from my buddy down the road. He had 4-5 oaks and swamp maples come down and they're all mine.. Headin over with the saw this afternoon. Gotta spend a few hrs on the water first!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BucksCoBernie

BucksCoBernie New Member

yeah that storm was nasty yesterday. luckily we just got a little t-storm, not much wind like they got in Philly, the southern counties and south jersey. I was watching the news and they were showing trees down all over the place.
  3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

SmokinPiney good deal, how high did the winds get?

zap
  4. SmokinPiney

SmokinPiney Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    In the Pines, NJ
    Zap, let's just say im suprised my 80yr old 4ft oaks stood up to it. But we only caught the edge of the storm. Bout a mile south of here the highway was shut down from trees and debris. I took the bike out a few hrs after the storm and they were still pushin trees off the road and there were downed wires everywhere. Sure was nice to finally see some rain though!
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    You know its hot when: the oil on your bar looks like a deep fryer cooking french frys!
  6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

When we had the wind storm in July of 2008 I tried to make it home before the storm hit, I came up about 7 miles short with a tree coming down behind me on the road. I made it inside to one of the local stores just down the road, when the storm passed and I saw vehicles on the road so I made my way back home (trees down all over plus one fell on a car coming down the road, the person was fine) I'll never do that again. The storm did produce about 28 face cord from the woods.

zap

A link to the 2008 storm from NOAA;

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/events/18July2008/
  7. CJRages

CJRages Member

Loc:
    Mid Missouri
    Lol... you mean the noodles are coming out deep fried?
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    lol yep that is whats going on! I used 2-1/2 gallons of fuel to 2 gallons of oil, its a french fryer for sure...