You know it's HOT when.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinPiney

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2008
In the Pines, NJ
Ya see a truckload of fresh cut oak layin roadside on your way home from work, and ya just keep on drivin by makin excuses to yourself for why ya didnt stop. Somehow after workin 8hrs in 95+deg, loadin my pickup full of wood just didnt sound fun at the time haha.

But! After the storms rolled through here last night i got a call from my buddy down the road. He had 4-5 oaks and swamp maples come down and they're all mine.. Headin over with the saw this afternoon. Gotta spend a few hrs on the water first!

SmokinPiney said:
Ya see a truckload of fresh cut oak layin roadside on your way home from work, and ya just keep on drivin by makin excuses to yourself for why ya didnt stop. Somehow after workin 8hrs in 95+deg, loadin my pickup full of wood just didnt sound fun at the time haha.

But! After the storms rolled through here last night i got a call from my buddy down the road. He had 4-5 oaks and swamp maples come down and they're all mine.. Headin over with the saw this afternoon. Gotta spend a few hrs on the water first!

yeah that storm was nasty yesterday. luckily we just got a little t-storm, not much wind like they got in Philly, the southern counties and south jersey. I was watching the news and they were showing trees down all over the place.

SmokinPiney said:

SmokinPiney good deal, how high did the winds get?

zap

Zap, let's just say im suprised my 80yr old 4ft oaks stood up to it. But we only caught the edge of the storm. Bout a mile south of here the highway was shut down from trees and debris. I took the bike out a few hrs after the storm and they were still pushin trees off the road and there were downed wires everywhere. Sure was nice to finally see some rain though!

You know its hot when: the oil on your bar looks like a deep fryer cooking french frys!

SmokinPiney said:
Zap, let's just say im suprised my 80yr old 4ft oaks stood up to it. But we only caught the edge of the storm. Bout a mile south of here the highway was shut down from trees and debris. I took the bike out a few hrs after the storm and they were still pushin trees off the road and there were downed wires everywhere. Sure was nice to finally see some rain though!

When we had the wind storm in July of 2008 I tried to make it home before the storm hit, I came up about 7 miles short with a tree coming down behind me on the road. I made it inside to one of the local stores just down the road, when the storm passed and I saw vehicles on the road so I made my way back home (trees down all over plus one fell on a car coming down the road, the person was fine) I'll never do that again. The storm did produce about 28 face cord from the woods.

zap

A link to the 2008 storm from NOAA;

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/events/18July2008/

smokinjay said:
You know its hot when: the oil on your bar looks like a deep fryer cooking french frys!

Lol... you mean the noodles are coming out deep fried?

CJRages said:
smokinjay said:

Lol... you mean the noodles are coming out deep fried?

lol yep that is whats going on! I used 2-1/2 gallons of fuel to 2 gallons of oil, its a french fryer for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.