You Know You're Old When...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya know yer old when... your teeth go to bed before you do.

My Dad raced flat track motorcycles till he was 74 years old
his trailer was lettered AARP Racing Team
he is 85 now
started skydiving at 73
you are only as old as you want to be
at 85 he is slowing down now
I hope I can make it to 85

Cloaking device off...yep I was a Trekkie....was fond of Chiller Theatre..Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman scared the livin daylights out of me...Harry.....

Hell we did'nt even get into westerns yet..Have gun will travel, Maverick, Cheyenne(hunk-yum), Wagon Train, Fury, Gunsmoke and good looking Clint in Rawhide..and who could forget..born on a mountain top in Tennessee, killed his first bear when he .....Audie Murphy fan...

Thanks Dix for the MM video clip I loved him my sister hated it-Where's Latka when you need him...loved Taxi what a show...Then there was World at War which I still watch to this day..Like watching the military channel..no wonder my parents were nuts between the depression and the war....imagine what the kids will say about the "Boomers"?

Ahhh gettin olde..I went from hey sweetie,honey,babe,miss..."Hey Lady excuse me do you need some help with that?" screw dat..Just call me SIVER FOX...think I should change my User Id????? dammit....

Back to stealth mode.....I'm enjoying this hope you are too!!!

I am not old, I am WELL SEASONED--and we know how valuable THAT is.

You know you are old when you have to instruct your grandson how to use a dial phone(true story). I earned every one of these wrinkles and grey hairs, and I am DAMN PROUD of 'em. (well, maybe not of the ones earned from...oh well, that's another story).

This thread has caused me to laugh out loud at work - several times. Especially shaving my Dad's face everymorning! So true.

There's something to be said for embracing your age as you grow older. A few campaigns ago, I was at a Republican Women's event in WDC and was taking in all of the Republic women to include Elizabeth Dole and Barbara Bush. Distinctly different. Every woman on the stage with the exception of Barbara Bush, was pulled tight from plastic surgery and had their original hair color (Almost Scary). Barbara Bush was wrinkled, white haired, and lame from a sledding accident with her grand kids. Barbara Bush OUT CLASSED them all! She's one great woman!

Yeah - I am proud of my white/grey hair (whats left of it) and wrinkles. I've earned them! So don't ever let the changes bring you down.

I work with guys much younger than me. I also can remember my first senior discount. Unfortunately - I was in the company of my younger co-workers and I was only mid 40's at the time. Boy - I caught some grief! Dang whipper snappers!

Keep them coming - it's like strolling down memory lane!

My boy got me a digital camera for Christmas, heard me gruntin' and saw me starting to get all boiled up
over how to use the thing.
Being a very thoughtful lad, he intervened saying, "C'mon Dad. You've had cameras before. It's
like any other camera."
"Okay. Just show me where the film goes."
Then the thoughtful lad says, "Okay. I forgot how old you are."
:shut:

HAHAHAHA-Kenny you are priceless-Hope Basswidow (correction) doesn't get canned!!!! lol

firebroad: thanks for the kind words

You Know You’re Old When.....................you laugh and you end up with stuff(#1 or #2) in your shorts! Sad really!

piejam said:
Very Good BG....lol

I do remember Amos and Andy, Abbott and Costello with Mr Fields and Mike the Cop...slowly I turn....step by step...susquehanna hat co...

And what about Heckel and Jeckal...yes I remember Uncle Milty,,Art Linkletter and Kids Say the Darndest Things

Some of this stuff I watched when it wasn't in syndicated reruns...Wholly Shhhhhh.........

How about:
Steve Canyon
Whirlybirds
Yancy Derringer
Adventures Wild Bill Hickok
Sky King
Fury
Tales of the Texas Rangers
Ruff n Reddy

The TV was as big as a washing machine with a screen the size of a bowling ball...
We still had a milk box on the front "stoop" & Freihofer's Bakery delivered bread...

Can't help myself..I'm trying so hard to be good here....lol...

You guys keep drawing me out...oh father they know not what they do!!!!

Sky King, Tales of Texas Rangers..I remember those big guy...How about Sea Hunt, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea?

Painfully aware I'm getting up there..I grew up in Queens so dad could fall out of bed and open his store..The apt my parents had was in a 5 story walk-up..you know those pre WWII buildings?.. I remember the coal trucks coming to drop off the load for the building's boiler...They would open the cast iron doors that were part of the foundation...
The super had the nasty job of leaving the ashes in cans in the front to be carted away..

Us kids would take the pieces of coal and draw a scales grid on the pavement to play bottlecaps! since I am petite with small hands..it was my job to run to the pepsi machine and stick my hands in and grab some bottle caps from the soda machine..We would pull the cork and fill the cap with crayons that we melted on the stove top above the pilot lite!!

I remember when our local supermarkets had wooden slat type flooring!! Not to mention tar beach which was the roof of the bldg!!! ....what a childhood....lol

I must not be old because I don't remember most of this stuff. :)

.... you can remember every single thing in this thread but not where you laid your car keys this morning.

BrotherBart said:
.... you can remember every single thing in this thread but not where you laid your car keys this morning.
GUILTY.

That's not fair BB...how did you know I'm constantly misplacing my car keys?..LOL..

Flatbed: young whipper snapper....(kidding) do you find this boring?

Does anyone remember the kind old men who would drive around in their jalopies with pots and pans? They would sharpen blades and knives and god knows what else for a nickel or a dime?

Five and Dime stores?....when piazza was 10 cents? The old chiclet/dentyne gum machines in subway stations for a penny? Or when local merchants had Pony Machine rides?

Oh please stop me before I shoot myself...lol

PS When subways had enamel poles and cane seating?? They shoot horses don't they?

In Baltimore, there were guys who went around selling produce from a horse pulled wagon called A-rabbers. And what about wooden phone booths with seats inside?

piejam said:
That's not fair BB...how did you know I'm constantly misplacing my car keys?..LOL..

Flatbed: young whipper snapper....(kidding) do you find this boring?

Does anyone remember the kind old men who would drive around in their jalopies with pots and pans? They would sharpen blades and knives and god knows what else for a nickel or a dime?

Five and Dime stores?....when piazza was 10 cents? The old chiclet/dentyne gum machines in subway stations for a penny? Or when local merchants had Pony Machine rides?

Oh please stop me before I shoot myself...lol

PS When subways had enamel poles and cane seating?? They shoot horses don't they?

I remember the old Italian guy would drive around sharpening knive and scissors. looked like a trolley car
and the Woolworth five and dime stores

I remember when Little House on the Prairie was new. I also had to stand up to change the 5 channels. My family was one of the last to get a color TV in 1977.

Flatbedford said:
I must not be old because I don't remember most of this stuff. :)

that is short term memory loss
a sure sign you are old

Ya know yer old when you can remember 1 cent postcards. And yer really getting old when you forget what was posted at the beginning of a thread.

Flatbedford said:
I remember when Little House on the Prairie was new. I also had to stand up to change the 5 channels. My family was one of the last to get a color TV in 1977.

YOU GOT 5 CHANNELS!!!!????? :mad: we only had 3. and 2 of them were snowy as all get out until dad put a booster on the tv antenna on the roof. i was out of the house living on my own before i saw Mtv for the first time.

stoveguy2esw said:
Flatbedford said:

YOU GOT 5 CHANNELS!!!!????? :mad: we only had 3. and 2 of them were snowy as all get out until dad put a booster on the tv antenna on the roof. i was out of the house living on my own before i saw Mtv for the first time.

We got four -- but one of them was PBS.

.... when your family had the first color TV in town and everybody invited themselves to your house on New Years to watch the Rose Bowl parade and we had to feed them.

This thread has gotten me to thinking the last few days.
Just had a talk with the wife. Told her when I die, she had to sell all my belongings
because I was bothered by the thought of her remarrying and another idiot using all my stuff.
She reassured me. Said she wouldn't marry another idiot.

Everybody sing!
Mrs. Jones you've got a lovely walker...
(Or was it Mrs. Brown? :lol: )

Uncle Milty as the first drag Queen on TV..Xmas tinsel.....with lead in it!

Sure you guys want to stick around for more abuse????

Had no idea what I started, but its funny as hell......

Kenny, you missed your calling-stand up comic....

Long Live the NBC peacock..first thing I saw in color...My fingers are aching from overexposure to the keyboard, or is it my arthritis?

Status
Not open for further replies.