You like them legs or a pedestal base?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CeeDee

Dec 4, 2018
Northern California
I'm old school and love a wood stove with legs. But that thing that hangs down underneath and looks like a diaper, I'm not at all fond of that design. The ash pan goes there, and it also serves an important purpose involving air regulation (can't remember how). I thought that by ordering a stove without the ash pan, I'd have a clean underside with just legs.

Unfortunately, that's not true.

A pedestal gives the stove a nice compact look and hides that dastardly hangy-down thing. It's like hiding granny panties with a proper pair of pants. Are pedestals as durable as the rest of the stove? It's just a box with nothing weird going on I need to worry about?

What's your preference and why? Are there any good stoves out there that incorporate that thing into the design so you don't see it? It's so alien looking, like something has attached itself to the stove, a leech maybe or a spy satellite.

Grrrr.

I'm a leg man

Reactions: Dix
With or without a load between them? My old Schrader has a clean look, nothing hanging out in the nether zone. I'm missing that stove just for its looks.
I suppose it depends on the stove but I'm not a fan of the pedestal look.

Reactions: Dix
Legs, definately.

Our Schrader rested on bricks, no legs. It left a space underneath just large enough for the kittens to hide. The cat crew will love a stove with proper legs. The dogs would love a pedestal. To them it'll probably look like a fire hydrant.

I can understand your dislike for the ashpan. When we’re looking for a stove to replace the old Fisher in our cabin I was experiencing the same dislike for all the “extra” undercarriage. But that quickly went away, I don’t even really notice it anymore. It’s not a big deal and soon it won’t be to you either. And legs all the way. Pedistals are way uglier than an ashpan and a set of legs.

With a pedestal you can use ember protection only (some). Takes much weight off of a cabin floor ya know. Plus its cheaper and quick. Different situation though, I like legs!:rolleyes:

I’m not terribly picky about it. Both of my current stoves are pedestals, for one I actually have the optional legs in a box.

The pedestals are not flimsy at all. Very rigid and stable while hiding the undercarriage and preventing under stove mess.

No more cats alive to go underneath. The coyotes got him.

A stove sitting on legs has room for those useful tools that are better off positioned, close, but best placed out of sight.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Reactions: coutufr and Ludlow
:( Sorry to hear that.

He became more of an outside cat and really liked to eat other animals so one day he just became food for somebody else.

Here's a pic of young Steve under the hearthstone.

The dog wouldn't have fit anyway!

Attachments

• 2-21-2011 016b.jpg
    2-21-2011 016b.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 163
My dog likes to stick her head underneath. I'm always afraid she will burn herself, is this just not a real risk? My stove also has fairly long legs (I'm a leg man myself).

To the OP, the underside ash pan boxes are hideous. Ours is integrated into the stove and has a door to the chamber.

Attachments

• 20181219_150057.jpg
    20181219_150057.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 158
I’m not terribly picky about it. Both of my current stoves are pedestals, for one I actually have the optional legs in a box.

The pedestals are not flimsy at all. Very rigid and stable while hiding the undercarriage and preventing under stove mess.

No more cats alive to go underneath. The coyotes got him.
Coyotes got two of my cats, too. I don't want them outside, but it's difficult keeping them from exploding out the door every time I open it even just a crack.

I'm definitely not happy with that alien growth on the underside of the stoves. I'm not sure how long they've been doing that, but it's common to just about every company any more.

So we're sold on getting a pedestal stove. It's such a tidy look, contemporary but still cozy. My eyes can't handle the weirdness of a stove wiener. It kills the design. It's odd this was never addressed. Some have a less abrupt profile than others, but they all have a hanger downer.

Reactions: Highbeam
A pedestal doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Some stoves utilize that big pedestal for a relatively big ash pan.

I'm old school and love a wood stove with legs. But that thing that hangs down underneath and looks like a diaper, I'm not at all fond of that design. The ash pan goes there, and it also serves an important purpose involving air regulation (can't remember how). I thought that by ordering a stove without the ash pan, I'd have a clean underside with just legs.

Unfortunately, that's not true.

A pedestal gives the stove a nice compact look and hides that dastardly hangy-down thing. It's like hiding granny panties with a proper pair of pants. Are pedestals as durable as the rest of the stove? It's just a box with nothing weird going on I need to worry about?

What's your preference and why? Are there any good stoves out there that incorporate that thing into the design so you don't see it? It's so alien looking, like something has attached itself to the stove, a leech maybe or a spy satellite.

Grrrr.
I'd like either, but no room!
IMG_20181109_150436600.jpg

If I had a choice, legs are good!
leglamp3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181109_150436600.jpg
    IMG_20181109_150436600.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 86