1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

You think your stove is too small!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Lanningjw, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanningjw

Lanningjw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth, Minnesota

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    We had a gentle man here around Christmas time that lived in a boat in MA and heated with wood....wonder how he's doing?
  3. Nonprophet

Nonprophet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    They're really nice little stoves, but at $1,100-$1,800 a pop they're waaaaaay overpriced in my book.

We use a Dickenson Marine diesel fuel heater for our sailboat. It's easy to use, safe, and it's using a fuel that's already onboard, no worrying about humping fuel wood up and down the docks and trying to keep it dry and make space for it on the boat. I love wood heat, but I don't think it's very practical for boats........

NP
  4. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    In fact, he posted a link to this very stove. I remember that he was having CO issues, but was very concerned with privacy and did not want to post pictures of his install. Hope he got everything worked out.
  5. Lanningjw

Loc:
    Plymouth, Minnesota
    Check out this Salty and his stove!

Attached Files:

6. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    That's the stove the guy that came around here was using, and that's the exact pic he posted to show us what stove he had. Love that pic.
  7. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    Wood heat and cooking has been used on boats for hundreds of years.
  8. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Some of them even burn parrafin. Smells wonderful, just like being in a ski shack waxing skiis.
  9. Nonprophet

Nonprophet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Yes, and we used horses for hundreds of years as our main source of transportation, but that doesn't mean that it's practical to do so today........

NP
  10. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    It's not about practicality, it's about preference. The stoves wouldn't be available at all if there wasn't a market for them. Nor would horses. Rick
  11. rphurley

rphurley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central/Eastern CT
    That is a great picture! You shoud make that your avatar. I can't believe in this era that an insurance company would approve a wood burner on a boat. It seems a wood burner woud be safer in my attached garage, with two cars, kerosene, gas, and a 12 pack of beer!
  12. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Oh my, yes...let alone gasoline or diesel fuel! Rick
  13. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    There's to many of them now, Rick (horses that is). Such a slaughter/transport/rescue fight going on. To much breeding, it's horrid.

Sad.

And it is about preference.
  14. Bobcatter

Bobcatter New Member

Loc:
    Pennsylvania

Attached Files:

15. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Well, why should the horses or any of the other animals we've taken to heart or found commercial value in be any different in that respect from us humans? We breed too much, and we encourage/facilitate their breeding. Then we recognize it (way too late) as a problem, and wring our hands and gnash our teeth over what's to be done about all of it. Dang, I'm gonna to have to moderate this thread right into the Ash Can if I don't stop posting so far OT. %-P Rick
  16. rphurley

rphurley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central/Eastern CT
    They are nice looking stoves. I'd almost be honored to burn to death, or go down in a vessel with one of those keeping me warm! :lol: Not being a smart-alec, just having a bit of a laugh. Nice stoves, thanks for the link, Bobcatter.
    Rich
  17. Stevebass4

Stevebass4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Franklin MA
    i would love to add one of those to my TV room
  18. annette

annette Member

Loc:
    the Indiana Riviera
    That is such a cute little stove!!

But yeah, why is it ok to have one on a boat, when I can't have one in my bedroom? On the website, there's bed just beyond the galley.

That stove would be great for a far bedroom, or any room that doesn't get heated by the main stove.
  19. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    And away we go ........<insert Jackie Gleason slide move>

It's been an on going problem, and I would love to see a thread like this in the Ash Can :p Pups. kitties, lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my !!

The cruel slaughter of horses, the auctions, the slaughter transport. It's sad. All for $25 a pound in Europe & Japan (amongst others).

Rick, ya set me off, in a good way. I think if any one gets educated on this issue, it's a start. And it's not just horses, it's chickens, pigs, cows, etc.

And yes, I eat meat.

*grabs my parasol, because here we go !!!*
  20. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Dixie, go ahead and start a new thread in the ash can. It's been pretty dead there lately. There's not too much of a connection between tiny marine stoves and eating horsemeat.
  21. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I don't think she can, BG, unless Craig's opened it back up to new threads. She could start a thread here and one of us could move it over there, then folks could post to the thread, but I don't think she can open up a new thread in the Ash Can, unless I've completely missed something (which is entirely possible). Rick
  22. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Entirely possible that I've missed something too. My braincells are about 5 months older than yours. And at our age, every month counts!
  23. Lanningjw

Loc:
    Plymouth, Minnesota
    Ok Now I under stand what it is......An avatar is a computer user's representation of himself/herself or alter ego, whether in the form of a three-dimensional model used in computer games, ...ok
  24. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    Because boats are not covered by the Uniform Building Code.

BTW, check out the pictures gallery on the mfg's website. Some pretty cool applications.
  25. Summertime

Summertime New Member

Loc:
    Western, Ct.
    I am getting one for my Grady White, I think it would be great for those late season Northeast fishing trips!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.