Your felling technique?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
timberr said:
The danger with cutting high is that if something goes wrong the butt is farther from the ground which means it can move around more. I sually used the open face cut method. I don't bend over, I get on one knee. If you are cutting high and then going back and cutting the high stumps how are you saving your back?

When I cut the stumps I can generally make one slice straight through - much faster and easier than making the minimum 3 cuts for felling... To me though, the big issue is that if I'm down on one knee, or bent way over, I'm less mobile - before I can move, I have to get up... If I'm cutting at roughly waist level, I'm already standing so all I have to do is run.... (With or without trying to bring the saw with me...)

I also feel like I can see more of what is going on with the tree and surroundings if I am upright - if nothing else I'm looking at the world from a view angle that I'm used to, instead of one that I haven't used much since elementary school...

Gooserider

Hi -

A reminder popped up this weekend. Asked by a sportsman's club to 'look at a tree' that threatened a structure. 24" diameter Oak with damage on one side. Hit with a hammer and it's punky on that side, probably deep into the trunk. I agreed to buck it up and remove after they get a heavy equipmet operator to push it over. There are lots of trees that are just not worth the risk with modest tools.

All the best,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.