1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Your felling technique?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Kong, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    When I cut the stumps I can generally make one slice straight through - much faster and easier than making the minimum 3 cuts for felling... To me though, the big issue is that if I'm down on one knee, or bent way over, I'm less mobile - before I can move, I have to get up... If I'm cutting at roughly waist level, I'm already standing so all I have to do is run.... (With or without trying to bring the saw with me...)

I also feel like I can see more of what is going on with the tree and surroundings if I am upright - if nothing else I'm looking at the world from a view angle that I'm used to, instead of one that I haven't used much since elementary school...

Gooserider

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. zzr7ky

zzr7ky Minister of Fire

Hi -

A reminder popped up this weekend. Asked by a sportsman's club to 'look at a tree' that threatened a structure. 24" diameter Oak with damage on one side. Hit with a hammer and it's punky on that side, probably deep into the trunk. I agreed to buck it up and remove after they get a heavy equipmet operator to push it over. There are lots of trees that are just not worth the risk with modest tools.

All the best,
    Mike
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.