Your input needed... Hampton, PE, Lopi, Regency, harman, Quadrafire or Osburn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
I am having an awful time trying to figure out what stove to get. There is WAY TOO MUCH info on this site!!! So... our house is about 2500 sq ft colonial with the stove going into the living room. The entry is cathedral and all the bedrooms are off that on the second floor. In addition, the master sits directly above the living room. I out of the following, what are your opinions of them.

Hampton HI300
Lopi Freedom or Declartion
Regency I300
Harman Exception or I300
Osburn 2200 Bay or 2400
Pacific Energy Super or Summt

This is the list i have narrowed down. The viewing area is important to us, in addition to a removable baffle system to allow cleaning without removing the entire stove.

Get a decent sized stove unless the living room is closed off by smaller doorways from the rest of the floors. If it is fairly open to the stairway foyer and other rooms like the dining room and kitchen, then get a 3 cu ft stove like the Summit or Lopi Freedom. If the room is somewhat cut off, then downsize a bit to the Hampton/Regency (same stove at the core), Lopi Revere/Declaration, PE Super, Osburn 2400 etc..

I assume you have been to the stove ratings page? It might help you make up your mind if you have not read the reviews.

Are all the units you listed available in your area? We are severely limited in choices down here in the south. I started out with a list similar in length to you, but soon had to delete most since they were not available within a reasonable distance.

The Harman has a different burn technology than all the others. I've never heard a thing about their inserts, but there is no baffle (it has a rear burn chamber) so cleaning will be very easy from inside the stove (but do not let ash/creosote fall into the rear chamber). The fire will be less active for viewing with the secondary action mostly behind the firebox. It does give some subtle, ghostly flames, but is an understated lightshow, not a flashy one.

I think this stove is better suited to a free-standing version than an insert, but would love to hear any firsthand experience.

Get a Jotul 500

Presume you're talking about an Insert and not a free standing stove - all of those are inserts iirc.

We went through a similar process to narrow it down and based on all factors we chose a Regency I3100. If you are doing an Insert - measure your opening dimensions and start comaring to what's available, it may start narrowing down your choices for you.

I got a lopi freedom and its solid. Looks pretty much like a lot of other inserts, plain jane without any real sex appeal. Dry wood @ about 600F and it will heat 2600sqft down to about -5 degrees in a not-too-ideal layout for a wood stove insert.

That being said, I think I would have been happy with any stove on your list. A bigger stove will be a problem if your wood supply isn't up to snuff (I'm guessing) because you're going to have to give it more air and burn quicker.

Don't buy a PE. HORRIBLE, unethical company. Look at the others.

One person's experience does not make them horrible or unethical. You made a request for pictures that they may not be able to fulfill easily. Have you gone to your dealer to work out your OAK questions?

FWIW, we've had a few folks here with this insert that forgot to remove the side knockout. Their stoves performed poorly, so the insert seems to have some degree of closure for intake air.

Just my 2 cents, but if i had vaulted celings i would be looking for a radiant stove not a convective stove. Convective stoves warm the air and then that air rises. Radiant stoves heat the objects in the room and helps keep the heat down. There will still be some convective air rising but less then in a steel stove.

For the price you cannot go wrong with the Osburn 2400, I have been very happy with mine. Like the PE the outside air is not directly connected to the firebox. It enters the air jacket through a 4" hole below the firebox where the air enters the firebox. I actually prefer this setup though. We have a big powerful range hood that likes to draw air through any tiny hole anywhere in the house. Now the air that comes in enters not from the attic or basement but right from the insert where it is heated.

Also keep in mind whatever brand you buy how difficult it will be to get parts. Some manufacturers are a pain to get parts or info from. SBI/Osburn has answered every one of my questions and you can buy their parts online. I won't buy anything that I have to go to a dealer to get parts from.

If I had to buy another stove it would be a BK but out of your list I would say Osburn, love the way the doors and veiwing is made. An from what I have read about them, decent stoves.

My biggest beef about stoves is spare parts. They should be off the shelf and not require weeks of wait for shipment or be extremely expensive. A stove should look good, heat the house, and easy to maintain. So far the Napoleon 1900 I have has fit that bill. My house is 3200 sq feet and its all I need.

However, it does not have the clean out capability you mensioned you would like. I usually slide it away from the wall if I have to get in there.

chris2879 said:
I am having an awful time trying to figure out what stove to get. There is WAY TOO MUCH info on this site!!! So... our house is about 2500 sq ft colonial with the stove going into the living room. The entry is cathedral and all the bedrooms are off that on the second floor. In addition, the master sits directly above the living room. I out of the following, what are your opinions of them.

Hampton HI300
Lopi Freedom or Declartion
Regency I300
Harman Exception or I300
Osburn 2200 Bay or 2400
Pacific Energy Super or Summt

This is the list i have narrowed down. The viewing area is important to us, in addition to a removable baffle system to allow cleaning without removing the entire stove.

In order? ok:

P.E.
Lopi
Regency
Harman
Osburn
Hampton

IMO the 2200 will provide you with a larger viewing area and a gorgeous rolling secondary burn right in front of the side bay window. Osburn has one of the best warranty in the market and outstanding customer support. you wont regret it.

I'll throw a little bias in there since I am a current Lopi owner. :)

Lopi Freedom

104322.jpg

How big is the fire box (cubic feet)?

Looks nice.

I have pretty much the same condition as your house. Colonial 2400 sq.ft. with master br right on the top of living. I have FPX33/Lopi Declaration in the living and this is the first season we start using it. I'm quite satisfied with it so far. For this mild weather, I can have living @ 75F while other room on 1st floor about 72F. 2nd floor exclude the bonus room over garage (keep door closed) @ 70F. Nothing fancy rather than two ceiling fan and one small floor fan to keep the air circulated.

Pros: Flat face looks nice, easy to operate. bypass damper helps minimize smoke during start, fan circulate heat well without being too noisy. Minimal combustible clearance compare with other due to the flat face.

Cons: A bit more expensive than other, firebox ceiling is rather low. expect max burn time ~ 8 hours rather than 12 hrs in manual. It won't heat well w/o fan (in case you lose power).

If you don't mind about 8 hours burn time and a handicap when you lose power, it's one of a solid choice. Give it a try :)

Cheers.....Som

Hello, I just purchased a Lopi Freedom Bay insert, it has not been up to standards by any means. I owned a Blueridge Grand View for 26 years and thought we would get the latest and greatest wood insert to replace our older insert. To our surprise I would pay double to get our old insert back. The Lopi Freedom Bay only burns for about 5 hrs. not 12. We have only burned split oak in it, but the insert has under performed at best. The company did a great job installing it but the lack of performance with weak blowers, lack of ability to burn more than 4-5 hrs. with the damper closed, and the bottom air flow closed all the way, it has and is a disappointment. The old Blueridge ran 8-9 hrs. with temps at 80 plus, the new one barely makes it up to 75 degrees. In two weeks of feeding this unit I've burned more wood, than a month with the old one. What a bummer, no help from the company that sold it to me, no response from the rep of Lopi, as of right now 2 weeks old, Lopi is a very bad decision.

Hey I'm going to throw in my two cents: i just intalled an Osburn 2400 insert and I'm loving this beast. It's a great stove on a budget (well under $2,000). 3.2 cf firebox. I bought it here http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1053

This company has been fantastic. Whatever you buy I hope you're happy with it and it fits your need, but I am on a tight budget, so for the money the Osburn 2400 is incredible. I can't believe the heat it puts out. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.