1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Your state's energy use

Post in 'The Green Room' started by webbie, Jun 9, 2013.

1. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    We're number 1, KMA Vermont! I would like to thank my wood stove.....

No one asked me how much wood I burned, maybe the NSA got the info!
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We're middle of the pack. I'm curious about these numbers. Are they residential only or do they include industry?

PS: Delving deeper they seem to include industry. Is the oil and gas industry the reason why WY and ND are so high. Not many people, but a huge sucker for fuel?
  4. charly

charly Guest

We seem to be the lowest...
  5. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

NYC is the reason. Impossible to have a car there. Mass transit, less industry there now. I bet upstate alone would be lighter blue, like VT or NH.
  6. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Looks likely, notice LA is #3 - offshore wells and gulf coast refineries methinks....
  7. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I notice Maine is way up there and Vermont is in next place. Old housing stock and very rural so long drives and a lot of pick up trucks.
  8. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.

VT is in the top ten as far as low energy use. Maine does have a lot of old and leaky houses.....although the long drives can be mitigated by decent MPG.
  9. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    ME has a much lower population & low industry which is why I think they are up there. WA state has Boeing, aluminum and steel mfg, several major military bases, two large seaports and a lot of tech (Microsoft et al), which all draw a lot of power and entail a lot of trucking.
  10. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.

I wonder if they can back some of that stuff out of there....doesn't seem fair as a comparison. Of course, MA. has a very large port as well as quite a bit of industry too. Even RI has a very large port.

I suspect driving distances are generally longer most everywhere on the west coast...but Ca. seems to be doing well in reducing per capita energy.

It's worth diving further into. While I know that alum. foundries use a lot of power, I wonder how much it really is when spread over many many millions of people. It would seem that companies such as MS are very energy efficient on a per worker basis as compared to older industries and far commutes.
  11. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The volume of stuff coming through Seattle, Tacoma and LA is huge. This is where China and Japan pipe in their goods. WA state's population is small compared to east coast acreage standards. We are less dense out here. :p
  12. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I looked it up - aluminum smelters are definitely suspect!

I know there are some metrics which provide just residential uses, which is more accurate. I wonder if this chart is that way...
  13. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.

LA is pretty darn big in the Asian trade! Most of my goods say Long Beach on the boxes.....

But, yeah, it's not fair to charge industrial use to residents. Not really relevant unless that industry mostly serves just the local population.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ports_in_the_United_States

Hah, long beach it is!
  14. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Now we will see how good the gubment is. I sent an email to the Sec. of Energy!
  15. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
  16. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Shut down that foundry in Bethel, VT and the state number would go negative. ;lol