You're not using enough gas!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockdoct

Oct 19, 2008
ilinois
Nicor natural gas company left a note on my door today. After looking at my NG utilization this winter, they think there must be a problem with my gas meter and want to swap it out for a new one.

There's no problem with the meter; I'm burnin' wood

LOL...when they come back with meter...get tongs and take a flaming split out to them..."This could be the problem, Sherlock...Here, hold this."

Ha, that happened to me too a few years ago and I called them and said I burned wood for heat, but they went ahead and replaced the meter anyways.

Just be glad the gas comes in a pipe and not via truck and tank. They have a very different process for handling the likes of you.

I'm surprised mine didn't 'pull the same thing years ago when I dropped down to 1/4 my previous usage.

For 25 years the electric company has replaced my meter every two years. Even though they have to walk passed ten to twelve cords of wood to get to it. One time I wasn't home and when they did it they got the privilege of paying for a very large UPS that blew out when they stabbed the new meter in.

When I lived in surburbia, I heated the house with an early
'80s Defiant. The local utility company meter reader would knock on the front
door every mid winter and say:

"I guess you are heating with wood, as I can sure smell it, but you ain't using
any gas... so good for you!"

dougand3 said:
LOL...when they come back with meter...get tongs and take a flaming split out to them..."This could be the problem, Sherlock...Here, hold this."

LOL yer killin me

gas company came here to change my meter last year. nothing wrong with the old one but they needed to change it out. and ya when they got out of the van they looked at 5 cord of wood on one side of them and the gas meter on the other. anyway gas is only used for dryer and water and ducane grill. bills are low not much usage. the guy replaces my meter and drives off. next month the bill comes in $0.00 instead of $25.00. i said to the wife maybe they just haven't got the thumb out of their _ _ _ so it will come in on next months bill. next month, same thing. $0.00 so as i went outside to check it i can here gas going thru it, but no dials turning. i got a big laugh out of that. by the time they got here to replace it it was a few days before christmas. and this started in late september. so all thermostats in the house were running 70 degrees 24/7 for $25.00. what a deal :)

all because they didn't believe the meter that was there.

It certainly does make one wonder who makes the decisions and what they are based on.

Several years ago we went to Arizona for the winter. Before leaving we notified our electric company. They thanked us for doing so and we were told they made a note on our file. Sure enough, before we returned from Arizona we received a card stating that something was wrong and they would be replacing the meter. We called them and they said, "Okay." They replaced the meter.

Fast forward another year. We called to let them know we would be in Arizona for 6 months. Three months later we received a card stating something was wrong with our meter. We called and they said, "Okay. Thank you for letting us know." They replaced the meter.

Fast forward another year. Same story..... I have to wonder how many dollars were spent, no, how many dollars were wasted?!

Friday is my fill day for propane, yesterday they tried to make it up my drive but they said it was too slick and to call them if we were running dangerously low. I called them this morning and had them put me on the will call since my tank is still 70%. The lady says "you must be burning wood if you only used 10% since 12/17", she then advised me that if we didn't use 900 gallons this year we would need to put in a smaller propane tank or pay a rental fee for the larger one. I told her that was fine with a smile on my face knowing I'm not going to use near enough to keep the bigger tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.