Youtube "How To" Video of the Day... Or not.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

St. Coemgen

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2016
Hungary
www.stcoemgen.com
Hm. A how to keep a wood stove burning all night:

What are your thoughts?

Example: The use of the those rounds (are they really dry?). Is a long burn in part due to not dry wood?

Interesting that he says he only starts splitting the year's wood in mid summer. I split mine in the winter/early spring at the latest and hope they may be dry, else they won't go into the stove that year. Bu all is tested to really be dry or not.

All opinions, input, experience welcome.

For example, I was myself. left.... well..... wondering because of a lack of facts and experience. A moisture meter is a cheap investment, but simple school of hard knocks experience is enough "fact like" to me to count as well if enough agree to it. Thus, I would love to have seen a moisture meter on those round splits, for example, since I have never tried to dry something like that, and not sure I just trust claims it is "dry", unless there is a hive mind consensus that it is indeed going to be dry.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Did he say what type of wood it was, type also greatly impacts burn time. But when you consider two large rounds with a log on top, that is a lot of wood mass in the stove on top of a really large bed of coals. Seems reasonable this would burn all night.

Guy says one piece is abt 4 inches, the other 3 inches high. If cut in January, so short pieces are bone dry by next mid winter. Not sure of the longer split on top though...

I no longer try any tricks to extend the burn time. Most of the tactics end up creosoting my chimney.

I burn dry wood according to the stove manufacturer's directions. There's a little wiggle room on burning faster or slower, but either way it burns the wood. The cycle goes about six hours or so. Coals can last a while.

Most hardwood rounds like he had would take more than a year to dry here.

My stove loves big pieces of dry wood. I swear, if I could find two pieces of wood that took up all the space with only a slit in the middle, my stove would burn it no problem.

The big pieces help slow the burn somewhat, but it still works its way right through that.

After last winter I didn't even have to clean the chimney.

Reactions: cjgoode