Yukon Eagle Klondike fan constantly running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MooseBucks

Dec 17, 2020
USA
I bought a house with a Yukon Klondike and started using it...the fan is set to run @ 200 down to 150. The problem is it has trouble getting the temp down to 150 and will constantly run and the house is now 79. My wife loves it but the kids and I are dying. Any advice?

Stop adding wood!
@brenndatomu has experience with the mighty Yukons. He will be along soon.
;lol
Yes...well said, stop adding so much fuel to the fire (literally) or less often anyways. Wood heat needs to be somewhat cyclical...really hard to keep the temp completely even...unless you are using a cat stove maybe.
Why is the fan temp set so high? A more typical temp range would be 150 on/125 off...or something like that.
At 200*, when that thing kicks on, its like turning your ductwork into little portals of hell!
200* is just too high IMO...if your ductwork doesn't have proper clearance to combustibles (wood framing) that is a high enough temp to actually start causing pyrolysis.

Make sure your chimney draft is right...those are supposed to be -0.03" WC max...and make sure the intake damper door is fulling closing too...those and the linkage/solenoid can get sticky...Yukon still sells all the parts supposedly. Also, make sure the foam seal that the damper door seats against is still there...my got old n crumbly, basically fell off...I took the whole damper box off and cleaned things up, replaced the foam with new weather stripping foam of the right dimensions.
Oh, make sure your door seal(s) are sealing...an air leak there will make it "hot all the time" too...probably use a lot of wood too.

;lol
Yes...well said, stop adding so much fuel to the fire (literally) or less often anyways. Wood heat needs to be somewhat cyclical...really hard to keep the temp completely even...unless you are using a cat stove maybe.
Why is the fan temp set so high? A more typical temp range would be 150 on/125 off...or something like that.
At 200*, when that thing kicks on, its like turning your ductwork into little portals of hell!
200* is just too high IMO...if your ductwork doesn't have proper clearance to combustibles (wood framing) that is a high enough temp to actually start causing pyrolysis.

Thank you. Will narrowing and lowering the range cause the fan to cycle even more often? All of our ductwork is insulated and cool to the touch.

I’m also burning well seasoned oak, hickory & ash. I hate to suggest this but could the wood be putting out too much heat?

Will narrowing and lowering the range cause the fan to cycle even more often?
Narrowing should...and lowering should help because the air should be cooler when the blower kicks on.
I hate to suggest this but could the wood be putting out too much heat?
Uh...apparently...

Make sure you check all that other stuff I mentioned too...if there are issues there, that will make more difference than changing the fan on/off temps will...

Reactions: moresnow
Thank you! I’m only adding a piece or two at a time when it gets down to just coals for fear it is going to go out.

Why do you keep adding wood if the house is already too hot? This is like complaining your car won't stop when you have your foot on the gas.

So what if it goes out? Isn't this what you want when it's 79° in the house?

Why do you keep adding wood if the house is already too hot? This is like complaining your car won't stop when you have your foot on the gas.

So what if it goes out? Isn't this what you want when it's 79° in the house?

Lesser of two evils. Loading less in the AM now and it has been great so far. Going to continue doing this and see how it works out.