Yukon/Husky being replaced

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Spirithelper

Mar 10, 2022
Benzonia, MI
BG - mod edit: Husky posts move to the boiler room for greater attention.

Meanwhile, the Yukon is going to be a fun project to get out of my basement this Summer (not). I bet it weighs 600+ pounds. Luckily I have Bilco doors. Not sure if there is a market for something like this or not. I put a lot of new parts on the fuel oil side of it. I could hoist it through the Bilco if I rig up a tripod, but it maybe easier disassembling it.

IMG_20220311_114836086.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile, the Yukon is going to be a fun project to get out of my basement this Summer (not). I bet it weighs 600+ pounds. Luckily I have Bilco doors. Not sure if there is a market for something like this or not. I put a lot of new parts on the fuel oil side of it. I could hoist it through the Bilco if I rig up a tripod, but it maybe easier disassembling it.

View attachment 293406
I had to take mine apart to get it through the narrow door...made it easy to move in/out by myself then...but I have a walkout though too. There is a market for these things...if nothing else people are interested in them for parts now that Yukon is gone and there are no parts available now...there is a thread or two here in the boiler room where people were looking for Yukon parts...

Reactions: Spirithelper
I had to take mine apart to get it through the narrow door...made it easy to move in/out by myself then...but I have a walkout though too. There is a market for these things...if nothing else people are interested in them for parts now that Yukon is gone and there are no parts available now...there is a thread or two here in the boiler room where people were looking for Yukon parts...
Thanks for the tip. I planned on posting it in area fb rummage group. But yeah, good idea about parts, etc. Thank you.

I planned on posting it in area fb rummage group
That might work too...there was one listed here locally a couple weeks ago...looked rough...they wanted $800 for it, I dunno what it sold for, but it was gone in a few days.

Reactions: Spirithelper
After following this forum on and off for several years I finally decided to join. I appreciate all the great advise and knowledge available here on Hearth.com. So thanks to the moderators and everyone past and present who continue to contribute.

I may be new to the forum but have burned wood most of my life. We bought a home in northern Michigan about six years ago which had a Yukon/Husky wood/fuel oil furnace in the basement for the main source of heat. I quickly realized it was not set up perfectly, but the past owners used it for around 30 some years and I just kind of dealt with it. Not knocking the Yukon, but the chimney setup was not the best for our little house and creosote buildup was always a problem. Due to my wood not being perfectly dry this fall, and my neglect to clean it one month as I usually did, we had a chimney fire just before Christmas. Luckily, most of the damage was contained to the chimney. The liner was cracked and to shorten this up, it was time for a change. I like the fact that I only used $300 in fuel oil in three years with the Yukon, so I wanted to do something similar. We also have wooded acreage so the cost of firewood is low and I enjoy the exercise.

So the new upgrade is going to be a Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 in our main level fireplace. Part of me did not want a flush mount burner but I trust our chimney sweep and he felt is was a better choice for our setup. I intend for that to be our main source of heat, and for backup we are getting a propane furnace piped in to where the Yukon sat in the basement. I have already purchased a moisture meter and will be checking out the forum here for wood storage ideas to keep everything down in the 10% range. That is something I didn't do with the Yukon. I admit I am not an expert. I am open to any thoughts or advise from those using this or similar inserts. I see some people have had trouble with the glass smoking up on one side with this model. I hope this is not an issue and plan to ask some questions about it. The stove sounds really nice and a perfect fit for our 1400 sq ft home. I will post how it's going when the install is finished.
Do you have any parts you may havd kept from your husky?

It might be better to sell it whole and let the buyer handle the removal. 600# is not that bad. That's not far from what our stove weighed. Put it on rollers to get to the Bilco stairs, lay down some 2x6s as skids on the stairs, then winch and muscle it up the stairs.