1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Yup, another blockoff plate question.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by daveswoodhauler, Nov 19, 2011.

1. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Ok, so I have an insert without a blockoff plate.
    I understand the pro's of having one to generate more heat vs going up the chimney...but wouldn't not having one keep the chimney warmer and keep down the creasole?

i.e I have a masonry chimney with a 6 inch liner installed. There is a cap/plate at the top of thie chimney, so the only air that is escaping the chimney is through the liner. I can see some heat being lost up the chimney at startup, but wouldn't the air inside the chimney (exterior of liner) be trapped at the top? (I have a small insert, and heats the home well....just was thinking that perhaps a warmer chimney would have a benefit of potentially less creasole?)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stejus

stejus Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    My first year of buring was set up like yours due to it being installed in the winter. I agree with you by keeping the liner warmer with no block off plate, but why heat you chimney when you can use that heat in your house.

I had my liner insulted the following year and this was to the first clay tile after the smoke shelf. It made a huge improvement to the draft and my liner was much cleaner the following year.

This fall I stuffed Roxul insulation in the smoke shelf and damper. I wasn't going to pull the stove out, so I got my arm up there and stuffed as much as I could into the cavity. All i can say is "what a difference". The stove heats up much faster, the brick face of the fireplace heats up hot, the cast surround heats up hot, the stove stays hot much longer... I can go on, but I think you get the point.

Insulate the liner and block the damper as soon as you can. If you have an interior chimney, you can get away with just the blockoff.