1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

ZCF vs. Freestanding Woodstove

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by kellerclan5, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kellerclan5

kellerclan5 New Member

Loc:
    northeast
    Does anyone have any experience with a ZCF (Zero Clearence Fireplace) vs. a freestanding woodstove. Specifically which one performs better. I know quadra fire makes both. Just interested if anyone has owned both and had an opinion.

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 73blazer

73blazer Member

Loc:
    Birch Run, MI
    I havn't owned both, but I can tell you, as an owner of a ZC (Heat'nGlo North Star (same as Quad7100)), unless the blower is running, you won't get much heat off the ZC. I think a free standing in the room stove is much more efficient at heat transfer to the home than a ZC unit.
    I did a retrofit of an older open ZC unit, and I contemplated putting a stove in front of it and sending a liner down the existing chimney. But I didn't like the way that would look, a stove takes up room space as well, and it's more of a worry with kids and such. Had it been my decision alone, I think I would have gone stove, but the wifey didn't like the aesthetic options of a stove install with our existing space and chase, so we opted for a ZC.
    If I was building a new home I'd do an EPA masonry unit or a stove and build the structure to design that aspect into it.
  3. kellerclan5

kellerclan5 New Member

Loc:
    northeast
    thanks, I thought they might not be as efficient as a free standing unit. My wifey bought off on the woodstove (thank goodness). However often thought that it might be nice to try a ZCF if I did build a new house.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    A ZCF takes up a lot less space. As for the blower debate, if you want good even heat throughout the house, you will need a blower anyway. A blower converts much of the radiant heat into convective heat. A good ZCF can use passive convection to move convective heat to the air and still move the air a little in the case of a power outage.

I think it boils down to what look you want and how evenly you want to heat the house without jury-rigged fans everywhere. The layout of the house is a big factor too.
  5. scfa99

scfa99 New Member

Loc:
    New Jersey, USA
    I've run my quad 7100 during a power outage in 20 degree temps for days at a time and it kept the whole house warm. Does the fan help? Yes, but there is still alot of heat delivered when its not in use. Is a wood stove more efficient, yes it is. In my case I could not get the wife approval for a wood stove.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.