Zero Clearance Decision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

danho

Feb 3, 2012
Southern, OR.
Morning everyone and Happy Thanksgiving.

I am in the hunt for a zero clearance fireplace to replace an old Superior unit in the new house we bought. I have had installers come out from the 2 local places and have it narrowed down to the Hearthstone WFP-75 Montgomery ($7,800 installed) or Heat N Glo Northstar ($6,500 installed). I may be able to go with the Pacific Energy FP25, but have not pulled the measurements for that unit yet. The house is a single story, 2,000 sq/ft open floor plan, interior wall install with approximately 20' of pipe needed up the chase, zero clearance is my only option for numerous reasons, even though I would love a free stander.

Any thoughts on pros/cons would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Montgomery is a nice unit. The firebox is a little smaller than I like though. The fireplace itself is made by SBI, and rebranded by several manufacturers. Each make subtle changes to personalize it to their brand. Have you looked at the Kozy z-42? We replace a lot of old zc’s with it. It usually an easy fit.

Thanks for the input, however I do not have a Kozy dealer within several hundred miles of me and it will not fit the space. Leaning towards the Hearthstone and in re-looking at the bid, they are within $200 of each other. Any last input would be greatly appreciated!

I just got the fp 25 installed and love it. Heats our 1800sqft ranch open concept really well. Haven't turned on the oil Furnace yet. Cost me $7200.

Attachments

• 20191011_162739.jpg
    20191011_162739.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_20191116_083024_942.jpg
    IMG_20191116_083024_942.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 195
Reactions: begreen
I have an opel 3C by RSF and absolutely love it. Made in Canada and the company owns ICC chimney. My home is 2900 sq ft and it heats it very well.

Attachments

• 89F1A6A3-068F-4938-8C90-0377D2CC17D9.jpeg
    89F1A6A3-068F-4938-8C90-0377D2CC17D9.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: begreen
Well I went with the Montgomery 75 for local availability and Black Friday cost savings, plus local installer came out to give advice and will be doing a pre install visit after I do demo/framing. The demo is done and i am reframing ths opening as well as building a raised hearth, the previous stove was on the floor. Next step is, I am looking to do 2x4's on side with plywood, Duroc and stone on top with insulation between studs to give me the roughly the 6" raised hearth I'm looking for. Question. Do I need to stone the area where the stove will sit, or do you make a raised area with framing for the stove platform so that the hearth in front of the stove will be level with it once the stone is applied? Second question. Does anything I'm doing need changed? Steel or metal studs? Fiberglass or Roxul insulation?

Thanks in advance, the family is pretty excited to have wood heat again.

Question. Do I need to stone the area where the stove will sit, or do you make a raised area with framing for the stove platform so that the hearth in front of the stove will be level with it once the stone is applied? Second question. Does anything I'm doing need changed? Steel or metal studs? Fiberglass or Roxul insulation?
No, you don't need to carry the stone all the way under the fireplace. Download the manual for installation instructions.

The WFP-75 may be installed directly on the floor or on a raised combustible or non-combustible base (see figure 5). That base must be at least equal (or exceed) the height of the floor protection. For more information regarding the installation on a raised base, refer to the “Hearth Extension Requirements” section of this manual. Please take note that a minimum of 80" (203 cm) measured from the base of the appliance to the ceiling is required (see figure 6).