Zero clearance fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Molsonc1

Dec 14, 2017
Canada
Hi there. I want to frame a new wood zc fireplace inside my garage with the chimney running through the roof. The reason im putting it in the garage is so the face of the fireplace sits flush on the wall inside the house so it dose not take up alot of space in the living room. Can anyone see any problems with me doing this? TIA

Not at all, as long as you frame around it and sheet rock it. It should be isolated from the garage, and insulated if the garage is in conditioned.

In conditioned? Yes i would frame and insulate fireplace. Would i have to frame chimney as well?
Meant to say insulate it if the garage isn’t a conditioned space. If it’s heated and cooled then you wouldn’t necessarily need to insulate as long as it was dry walled.

You don’t have to frame a chase if you don’t want to. Once the pipe is in the attic it can be treated as any woodstove chimney.