is this safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hawthorn

May 14, 2024
ma
Looking to purchase a coverted schoolbus. Trying to assess if this stove setup is safe or if I would need to redo the install. I would need to to be functional through consistent use through Upstate NY winters. The owner says that a little rain comes in the stove sometimes during a heavy storm. The glass directly behind the stove has broken due to heat, so either a heat resistant panel needs to go there or stove moved. From what I am reading the metal flashing behind the stove needs a 1'' clearance for air circulation, it appears to just be directly attached to the wood. I am also not sure what would be causing the black stain by the flue.

Any other thoughts?

is this safe?

is this safe?

is this safe?

is this safe?

Looking to purchase a coverted schoolbus. Trying to assess if this stove setup is safe or if I would need to redo the install. I would need to to be functional through consistent use through Upstate NY winters. The owner says that a little rain comes in the stove sometimes during a heavy storm. The glass directly behind the stove has broken due to heat, so either a heat resistant panel needs to go there or stove moved. From what I am reading the metal flashing behind the stove needs a 1'' clearance for air circulation, it appears to just be directly attached to the wood. I am also not sure what would be causing the black stain by the flue.

Any other thoughts?

View attachment 327337

View attachment 327338

View attachment 327339

View attachment 327340
We don't know what the stove is or what it's requirements are. That looks like single wall pipe so it needs 18" of clearance. We also have no idea what the pipe through the roof is or what it's clearances are. It certainly doesn't look like normal prefab insulated chimney.