026 Help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glennm

Burning Hunk
Dec 26, 2010
S Ontario
I have had this saw for a number of years and it has served me well. The cover kept falling off in the bush and last year I lost the tank vent. I have not really been able to get the correct one. The stihl dealer shows me parts catalogues and ordered a couple different parts in for me, none of them are correct. People have played around with the carb adjustments and now I can't even get the saw to start. I have a few of questions:

- does anyone know the correct part number for the tank vent? The one in the photo is not right and the cover won't fit with it on
- what starting adjustments will get me close on the air and idle screws
- what do you do with the adjustments on the tank vent?

This saw is in good shape and should work well, I think there may be either an adjustment problem or a fuel issue. I need to cut some wood!

Thanks in advance
Glenn

photo 1-1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

No, there are a couple of pieces of plastic in the way
Btw. I poured a few drops of gas in the carb and it started right up. After a few minutes it wouldn't rev up so I am assuming a fuel problem. I guess I will start by pulling the gas filter in the tank to see if that could be the problem

You might need this one. There are 4 different vent designs possible for the 026. The tall black one you have rotated 90 degrees, a short round black one, this one, and another short white round one similiar to this one. 3/4 turn on the Low speed and 1 turn on the High speed should get you started, high might need to open up more than that to run at higher speed.

vent.jpg

Good advice so far for the vents. I'd suggest new fuel lines, filter and a carb kit.

You are definitely right, that is a nice saw and should run right.

Mastermech, stihlhead etc. will hopefully be along soon to get you sorted out

Also clean the air filter and that area around the carb. I clean saw is a happy saw :)

I was able to turn the vent 90 degrees. There is a slit in the vent so it fits right. Now the saw will run but at WOT it bogs down a smokes a lot

Sounds like you are 90% there, then adjust your high down a hair and see what you've got.

Start with a spotlessly clean air filter and then recheck. Saw sounds like it is running rich. Give this video a listen.

Then this one for how it'll sound in the wood.

Reactions: Boog
Mastermech, stihlhead etc. will hopefully be along soon to get you sorted out

Boog is now my trained apprentice on the multi vent issue on the 026... but post the saw serial number and that will help to decode the vent type using the IPL.

I use a tach to tune my saws, but... you can set the 026 to the std. pre-sets for H & L at 1 turn out from seated each and then tune the H screw at WOT so that it 4-strokes slightly (also known as burple). Then cut some wood at WOT and the burple should go away and the sound should clean up. The max RPM is 14k but that has a safety margin of 500 RPM so you can go as high as 14.5k with no problems on an 026. I have one ported one set to 15k.

Reactions: Boog
What is the starting point for the HA? Also, where is the serial #?

HA?

There should be an H, L, and LA. The LA is the idle. If the saw won't idle, turn the LA clockwise until the chain starts to move, then back off a quarter turn or so.

Damn glasses, LA it is. Thanks

................................Also clean the air filter and that area around the carb. I clean saw is a happy saw :)

Well, I'm not sure. Since we're giving saws "feelings" here, a "clean" saw might be a sad, seldom used entity, just sitting up there all pretty on the shelf never getting worked. A happy saw might be a dusty "dirty" saw that just sunk its teeth into some fresh wood a few hours ago. My saw in the photo above is a "happy saw"! ;)

Those 026s with the split covers are kind of like a girl wearing a bikini.............. if you fool around with them at the beach, they're likely to get sand under their covers...................

Status
Not open for further replies.