036 pro died

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JR82

Apr 20, 2009
NNJ
Couple weeks ago I bought a used 036 pro off a guy. Been using it fairly steady since then. Sunday after running about 4 tanks through it, it just died shortly after the last refill. It would not even try to restart so after poking around the usual suspects yesterday I finally pulled the muffler cover off to find a pile of metal chips. The side of the piston was all busted out. First, any ideas what would cause this? Was running good for a couple hours before it happened. Second, any recomendation for parts besides ebay? I saw a couple of cylinder kits there just wondered if there are other options.

Was it the original piston and rings ?
A broken piston might be the result of the piston skirt failing. That's likely due to fatigue from wear. An undersized piston rattles around some and the skirt takes a beating. Another thought is that you might have broken a piston ring and it hooked on the exhaust port.
If the piston melted then it was likely due to a lean mixture. Maybe no oil in the gas, too much ethanol or oil in the gas, you developed an air leak, or the fuel flow was restricted by something in the fuel filter or carb.

I guess I will have to wait until I pull it apart more to really know. From what i can see it doesn't look melted at all. It wasn't running overly hot at the time of death either. Looks like I can get parts from ebay or baileys, though baileys is back ordered. It depends on what exactly everything looks like inside too. At a minimum it needs a new piston, thats for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.