1.4 ton pallet at HD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roadrat

May 28, 2008
Maine
The Home Depot in Auburn, Maine had an odd 1.4 ton pallet of pellets for sale, it looked factory rapped and not just a bunch of loose bags tossed together. The price was $419.00 and I'm not sure of the brand.
is this something new from the mills or just a fluke? I like the idea myself, and hope this becomes a new standard.

bill

ok, I gotta ask, because in this morning haze I cant think. Whats the advantage of the 1.4 tons over say, 1.0 tons?

Some places package their pellets like that, I picked up the same thing in the spring they were packed in 20 pound bags with a ton and half on the pallet, Had to take off the top layers to get it in the truck, Pelletsales.com has certain pellets packed like that also. I guess in the long run they would save money on wooden pallets.

Jester said:
ok, I gotta ask, because in this morning haze I cant think. Whats the advantage of the 1.4 tons over say, 1.0 tons?

Well I guess 2.8 tons on 2 pallets would take up less room in your garage than 3.0 tons on three pallets.
and if the place you bought you pellets from charges you a deposit on the pallets , you would have 1 less deposit out there.

bill

When I had my pellets delivered, the forlk lift was too tall to make it into my garage. I had to re stack anyway, so I don't see any advantage. Also, I don't think I would like it if the indivdual bags are heavier than 40 pounds. Not sure if that is the case.

I like it as well. I got 4.2 tons this way from pelletsales.com last March. The pellets were in 40 lb bags from a manufacturer in BC. As another poster pointed out, the advantage is really just a smaller foot print, and sometimes a slightly better volume deal.
Either way, I wind up re-stacking mine in the basement roughly 1.5 tons per pallet, to maximize use of vertical space.

One of the biggest advantages of 60 bags to a skid instead of 50 is shipping. Depending what the weight limit of the truck route it helps save money.

Eric

There is a thought.

When I get old and can not lift a full 12oz can of beer I can get a 6oz. can of beer.

People it is only 40 lbs.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
There is a thought.

When I get old and can not lift a full 12oz can of beer I can get a 6oz. can of beer.

Eric

I carried two bags at a time down my bulkhead into the basement. 3 tons = 150 bags, 2 at a time was 75 trips.
Did it in a couple hours.
Man Did I sleep good that night!

Reason for this is ,todays standard trailer length is 53' and 24 ton capacity. Trying to fit 2 rows of 12 pallets 4' long into that 53' trailer with bags bulging off the sides is almost impossible without damaging lots of bags. Many trucking companies also run 48' trailers. Like Kinsman says. It is a shipping issue.

kinsman stoves said:
There is a thought.

Eric

I drink Crown Royal. If I cant lift that, Ill be using geothermal heat, and be dead.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.