1" or 1-1/4" underground pex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to know how many btu's you will need to be flowing.Tubing diameter is the limiting factor on transfer. Don't want to under size.
Will

I'll be running the CB E-Classic which claims 175,00BTU's. I'm piping into my existing boiler with a plate HX. My home is 3000sqft and currently has 3 heat zones and 1 DHW zone. I'll also be running a separate zone for a modine heater which will be in the barn 20' away from the OWB.

I'm planning on putting a gassifier in with 147,000 ish btu output. recommended "1.25 pex. What you're talking about "1.25 should handle it. I don't think I recommend 1 inch. Just my .02

MyOutdoors said:
If I'm running around 165' underground from my house to OWB, what size insulated Pex should I put in? 1" or 1-1/4"?

My run was only 90' one way and I was sold 1" pex. I'm pushing about 70-75kbtu to the house through that pex. I'm almost undersized for that application. My 2 cents would also be to use the 1.25" or two lines of 1" pex. The crimper, pex tubing and related hardware is quite a bit more expensive for the 1.25" so you may be further ahead to use dual 1" lines. According to the guide I saw, the 1.25" pex will flow nearly double the amount of water as the 1" pex.

Status
Not open for further replies.