1 re-burn tube, no air, the other 2 work. What gives??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thoner7

Feb 10, 2019
North
I'm on my third year with a re-burn stove. A country hearth 2000 from tractor supply. We don't use it all the time just here and there.

2 fires ago I wasn't getting any air out of the front re-burn tube. The other two were/are pulling air just fine.

So I pulled that tube out, hoping to find something obvious...but found nothing. It was open and clean. The side chambers also felt clear, to the extent I could fit my finger in the holes.

Have a fire burning now and still no air is gcoming out the font most re-burn tube. What gives? Anything I should check??

Without that tube working, the fire will die unless I leave the air inlet open a tad. The stove subsequently doesn't get as hot as it should.

PS I'm having the flue professionally cleaned next week.

2 fires ago I wasn't getting any air out of the front re-burn tube. The other two were/are pulling air just fine.
How do you know that it is not flowing air?

How do you know that it is not flowing air?
Because when i first light the stove, and get it hot, I can always see the air pulling through the holes on the tubes as the fire roars. It creates little air washes the shape of a candle flame.

And it's no longer doing that from the front tube.

And now the stove doesn't burn right.

First thing I would check if the baffle board, should be a single board (fragile) make sure its pushed to the back of the stove, also check and see if its degrading (I know when I had the larger 2500 the center started failing by getting thinner) The baffle has a direct correlation to secondary reburn, the baffle provides air channeling and also warmer fire box temps which allows for secondary reburn to occur, the "air tubes" provide the boost of oxygen and turbulence, but if there not enough heat or no plate on top then theres no secondary either.

First thing I would check if the baffle board, should be a single board (fragile) make sure its pushed to the back of the stove, also check and see if its degrading (I know when I had the larger 2500 the center started failing by getting thinner) The baffle has a direct correlation to secondary reburn, the baffle provides air channeling and also warmer fire box temps which allows for secondary reburn to occur, the "air tubes" provide the boost of oxygen and turbulence, but if there not enough heat or no plate on top then theres no secondary either.
Ok so I did mess with that when I checked the stove. It appeared out of alignment, I moved it into the position I thought it should be. But in my stove it's not 100% clear if it should be resting on a small ledge at the rear of the stove, or resting on the rear tube itself. My manual has no info on placement.

If the baffle can sit flat on the tubes and still be centered and slid clear back so there is no gap at the back, that's probably how it goes...the baffle usually has a little incline to it, higher toward the front, just as the tubes are...

Do not expect all holes or tubes to be in the right place at the right time for the air coming out of them to create a fire. Those tubes just release air that can create fire but only if everything else is in place like heat and enough fuel.

Sometimes my front tube air creates flames but definitely not always.