110V lamp style timer but with variable settings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I have a lamp timer I use to turn my living room lamp on at 7 PM and off at 11 PM. I need a similar timer for 110V appliances (low wattage) but that gives me more control. Currently my lamp timer can only do on/off settings in 30 minute increments. I'm looking for a cheap timer where I can set it for like 15 minutes ON, 45 minutes OFF continuously or maybe even something different. I can't find any timers with this level of control. Anybody know of a specific unit that does this?

Thanks!

I can't tell how many time events that one handles. Many of the digital ones say something like 20 or 28 in one day, which isn't enough. For example, say I want 15 minutes on, then 45 minutes off and do this every hour. That is 24 ON events and 24 OFF events = 48.

Years ago, I had an electronic one that I believe I bought at Radio Shack. You could set up to 6 on/off times and program it to the minute. You might check there.

wahoowad said:
I can't tell how many time events that one handles. Many of the digital ones say something like 20 or 28 in one day, which isn't enough. For example, say I want 15 minutes on, then 45 minutes off and do this every hour. That is 24 ON events and 24 OFF events = 48.

I don't have and answer, but I do have a question . . . .WHY?

If I said why then people would get distracted by it. I just want the timer.

wahoowad said:
If I said why then people would get distracted by it.

Wow. What a great replacement for "It is a matter of national security."!

Without any green clues, this is more a DIY thread.

Check the big pool timer company, Intermatic or something like that - I have one that plugs into a lamp socket and uses trippers, which IIRC can be set for 15 minute intervals, as many times as you have trippers for - they come with 2-3 sets, but you can purchase as many additional pairs as needed.

Other option might be to use a relay board in a computer - you can get those in all sorts of configurations, and pretty much do whatever pattern you need, through software setup.

Gooserider

some people do some real interseting light shows with Christmas Ornament light controls.

you need a repeat cycle timer but the ones for that time (15 minutes on 45 off) range get pretty expensive.
well you can tell us what its for now, were all a little distracted..

I finally found a $10 basic lamp timer with manual trips for 15 minute intervals (at a pets store). Previously all I could find was basic timers with 2 ON/OFF intervals per day.

Since you are dying to know what this is for....it is to keep my filter and bubbler from running constantly in my minnow tank.

BrotherBart said:
wahoowad said:
If I said why then people would get distracted by it.

Wow. What a great replacement for "It is a matter of national security."!

Hmmmm,,,,, Virginia,,,,,,, small town , prolly just one traffic light, yep , I'll bet he wants to piss off the tourists and change the traffic light. RED 45 mins ---- GREEN 15 mins !

m0jumb0 said:
I know you found it, but here's a link for anyone else that's interested:

http://www.ecogrow.com/index.cfm/product/985/mid/22/nid/0/home.html

Looks like an interesting site, but I'd be nervous about getting on their customer list - They look like a place similar to Northern Sun, where a few years back the gov't seized their customer list, then sent the storm troopers to kick down the doors of said customers, on the grounds that some of them might be using the products sold to grow illegal plants....

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.