1500 gallon pressurized storage with a 107,000 btu Tarm ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

machinistbcb

Nov 21, 2007
Sabattus Maine
I am still in the planning mode of installing the used Tarm gassifier I bought. I seem to change my mind about stoarge designs daily. I found a 1500 gallon tank with a pressure rating of 60 psi at 650 degree ( came out of an old paper mill and I think was used for boiler condesate ? ) At $ 500.00 I think it's a real good. My questions is would this tank be to big for the boiler that I have which is rated at 107,000 btu, or if will it not matter because the pressurized tank should be able to hold the water at the top of the tank where I will draw from it. Also, as far as expansion tanks go is there any reason why I couldn't use a tank that comes from a drilled well ?

Thanks,

Brian

I think you are probably close to right, so long as you don't have much heat loss from the tank. I have a 1000 gal on my Tarm 40, which it heats with no problem at all. As to the expansion tank, 1500 gal pressure tank is going to require a really big expansion tank. I use an Amtrol SX-160 with my 1000 gal. As to a well tank, someone else will have to answer that, as I don't know whether the rubber bladder used in a well tank is rated for the heat for a boiler tank.

I assume your tank is steel, so be sure to treat your water to prevent acid corrosion and scavenge oxygen, as corrosion happens really fast. Also, you might consider a high temperature filter on your draw line from the tank to catch any debris that might be in the tank.

You got a great buy if you can use the tank.

My advice would be to get the tank if you have room for it. You may have to load the boiler several times to get the tank up to temperature initially. Once there you will only need to burn long enough to top it off.
Well pressure tanks should work (you are doing to need a couple big ones) as long as they are rated for the temperature you intend to expose them to. Thats the route I was going to go but couldn't find maximum temperature specs for any available locally. I ended up getting a boiler expansion tank. The well pressure tanks are precharged to a much higher pressure so make sure to bleed them down to 12psi (or whatever you have your feed valve set to) before filling your system.

I have a well xtroll tank model 252 that is rated up to 200 degrees with 86 gallon capacity. I was hoping that would be big enough. I know there are some guys with 1000 gallon tanks that are useing 86 gallon expansion tanks. It would save me some money if I could use that one.

Brian

I don't think the tank will be big enough. The 252 is rated at 86 gal with a 0.39 acceptance factor, or 33 gal. Water from 32-200 has an expansion factor of I think a little more than 3.5%, and I tend to use 5% as a safety factor, which means a 0 pressure expansion of 75 gal, which is more than twice your acceptance volume. Under pressure the expansion factor needs to be greater. In all events your tank is too small, probably need two of them at a minimum.

Another one shouldn't be a problem. Is there a speacil way I should consider hooking them up togather ?

Just in parallel - see attachment for general diagram.

Attachments

• Exp-Tank-2.jpg
    Exp-Tank-2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 348
Status
Not open for further replies.