$159 for Sportsman 1k Inverter Genny

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I got one last year and hooked it up to my Harmon XXV and did (Test) run. Seems great. Run it out of fuel and it sits in box in garage. It's insurance. Inverter/Batteries pickup the load for power outages that are less than 12 hours. My 7k Generator is not PSW.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Yes,over a year ago, when on sale. Tested Accentra, ran fine.Is filled up with gas, ready to go quickly. It has a nice vent in the fuel cap that shuts off very well. If don't need it, will dump old fuel in truck in summer. But, I also use non-ethanol, and have fuel stabilizer in the fuel.

Reactions: ABusWrench
I bought one a few years ago. Did the recommended break in. Ran it during a short power outage. Prepped it for storage. Sat for a few years. Got it out last spring. Started up fine. Wouldn’t produce electricity. So I paid for a single use. I don’t think I would try a cheap one again. I was fortunate it didn’t give out the only time I used it.

I have a 40 year old Pinco that still works fine.

Reactions: gfreek
I take my Predator 9000 out every 6 weeks or so, run it for 15 min with a load attached (a 1500w heater & a 1500 hair dryer). Read where if you don't run them with a load occasionally the power head can lose it's ability to make power.

sam

I just chalked it up to Chinese electronics. Hit or miss if they work or last.

Probably not an easy or even a doable fix on this small generator, but it may be likely it lost the residual magnetism for the excitation winding. Running a generator frequently just to ensure it starts and to keep the excitor magnet in good condition is a good practice.

Flashing a generator excitation magnet...

I did buy the Walmart linked genny last night and it will probably find more use than just the stove.

The Predators are 20% off at Harbor Freight. I thinkl I am going to get the 2000W inverter generator

Reactions: Dan Freeman
I received the $159 Sportsman unit yesterday and got running. I'm pretty impressed with the completeness of the manual to include a wiring diagram and a breakdown of the engine parts. Fortunately had some 10W-30 oil around to use. Oddly the downloaded online manual calls for 10oz and the printed manual that was with the generator 7.5oz.

I received the $159 Sportsman unit yesterday and got running. I'm pretty impressed with the completeness of the manual to include a wiring diagram and a breakdown of the engine parts. Fortunately had some 10W-30 oil around to use. Oddly the downloaded online manual calls for 10oz and the printed manual that was with the generator 7.5oz.
Ya, there was an issue with too much oil, so they lowered the amount.