$170 battery backup.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
Well, we got 36" + of snow yesterday, and im surprised we did not loose power. I am not a good boyscout so i was not prepared if it did. I purchased a modified sine wave 600w inverter, a 90 ah deep cycle marine battery, and a auto top off/float charger that can be plugged in constantly to the battery. The Harman XXV draws 180w continuous power, which is ~1.5 amps. This set up should give me 60-70 hours of backup heat. (i hope)

36" of snow! Yikes! With all the rain we've had here in the Northeast this spring/summer/fall (can you say 'Biblical Proportions'?), I hope it's not a harbinger of things to come for the winter. We've already had WAY past our annual quota of snow the past two years. We really are praying for global warming here in the northeast US :)

this was yesterday morning before it really started to come down!

Attachments

• oct-snow.jpg
    oct-snow.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,016
  • oct-snow.jpg
    oct-snow.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,005
Holy crap, You can keep that stuff. I am not ready for that yet! That storm is heading our way but luckily there is going to be a warm up to meet it. We should just get some rain. HOPEFULLY!

jay

MountainStoveGuy said:
......This set up should give me 60-70 hours of backup heat. (i hope)

MSG, there are going to be some efficiency losses, but if I were you, I'd do an actual test of the system, just so you have a good idea of how much time you really will get out of it. That's what a good boy scout would do...be prepared! :cheese:

You could get one of those little generators to charge the battery ,every couple of hours . Most power outs don't last more than a couple of hours .If you had to you could charge it with jumper cables
and your car .

Excell said:
You could get one of those little generators to charge the battery ,every couple of hours . Most power outs don't last more than a couple of hours .If you had to you could charge it with jumper cables
and your car .

If you are going to buy a generator to charge the battery you might as well just run the stove with it until the power comes back on. I like what he has done with the inverter and the battery. I have a good sized UPS that runs my stove for about 20 minutes which is just enough time for me to fire up the generator to switch over to back-up power.

Awesome! The snow I mean....
Jeep and plow are not 100% ready yet
but I could make due if some snow hit now.

pellet burner said:
Sorry to disappoint you MountainStoveGuy but you will get nowhere near 60 or 70 hours of run time. Amp hours are not calculated that way. By this calculator you will get 2.5 hours if you are lucky.

http://www.xantrex.com/support/howlong.asp

Hey Pellet Burner,

Nice find on the calculator, very useful post.

Good Grief, thats lots of snow. Aint it too early for snow? even for CO? stay warm dudler. good move on getting that Inverter.

MountainStoveGuy said:

so, I guess it's safe to say that mosquito season is officially over ;)

I just checked the long range forecast (out 15 days) and it looks like 50-60 degree days for the next week or two...who believes these though? I've shoveled three feet of "partly cloudy" more times than I care to admit to.

BTW, MSG, is that a brownie you're holding in your pic? After fly fishing for nearly 40 years, I caught my first Brownie this spring....last cast of the day, it was almost dark...WHAM...19" beauty.

timbo said:
......BTW, MSG, is that a brownie you're holding in your pic? After fly fishing for nearly 40 years, I caught my first Brownie this spring....last cast of the day, it was almost dark...WHAM...19" beauty.

??????? Does anyone else see a pic of MSG holding a 19" brown Trout in one of those pics?? I don't....must be a fish story. %-P

MountainStoveGuy said:
Well, we got 36" + of snow yesterday, and im surprised we did not loose power. I am not a good boyscout so i was not prepared if it did. I purchased a modified sine wave 600w inverter, a 90 ah deep cycle marine battery, and a auto top off/float charger that can be plugged in constantly to the battery. The Harman XXV draws 180w continuous power, which is ~1.5 amps. This set up should give me 60-70 hours of backup heat. (i hope)

Judging by what I currently see on the weather channel, MSG may be buried in snow along with the fish.

macman said:
timbo said:
......BTW, MSG, is that a brownie you're holding in your pic? After fly fishing for nearly 40 years, I caught my first Brownie this spring....last cast of the day, it was almost dark...WHAM...19" beauty.

??????? Does anyone else see a pic of MSG holding a 19" brown Trout in one of those pics?? I don't....must be a fish story. %-P

click on his blue name in his posts (upper left hand corner). It'll take you to another page. there is a picture there that looks like he's holding a pretty large Brown Trout.

timbo said:
click on his blue name in his posts (upper left hand corner). It'll take you to another page. there is a picture there that looks like he's holding a pretty large Brown Trout.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh....now I C. Thanks timbo. yep, that's a real nice brownie, for sure.

90 amps at 12 volts is 9 amps at 120 volts. but that is an awfully small marine battery. it should be more like 190 ah ore more.
I bought a 5500 watt gen set that would run the whole house for $600

timbo said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

I just checked the long range forecast (out 15 days) and it looks like 50-60 degree days for the next week or two...who believes these though? I've shoveled three feet of "partly cloudy" more times than I care to admit to.

BTW, MSG, is that a brownie you're holding in your pic? After fly fishing for nearly 40 years, I caught my first Brownie this spring....last cast of the day, it was almost dark...WHAM...19" beauty.

Thats a cutbow on the south platte! :)

pellet burner said:
Sorry to disappoint you MountainStoveGuy but you will get nowhere near 60 or 70 hours of run time. Amp hours are not calculated that way. By this calculator you will get 2.5 hours if you are lucky.

i have no idea... its been on batter power now for 16 hours. and the stove is running constantly in this cold weather.

lecomte38 said:
90 amps at 12 volts is 9 amps at 120 volts. but that is an awfully small marine battery. it should be more like 190 ah ore more.
I bought a 5500 watt gen set that would run the whole house for $600

the battery is large and weighs about 50 lbs.

MountainStoveGuy said:
timbo said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

Thats a cutbow on the south platte! :)

Very nice catch!...is a cutbow trout a rainbow/cutthroat hybrid? we don't get cutthroats around here. I live right on a river where we get rainbows, brookies, browns, salmon and the occasional laker that escaped from one of the lakes that feed the river...

MountainStoveGuy said:
pellet burner said:

i have no idea... its been on batter power now for 16 hours. and the stove is running constantly in this cold weather.

Your biggest drain is from the igniter so if you are running constantly, the only things you are running are the combustion and circulation fans and the computer. On my stoves, that drain is only 1.67 amps including the feed motor. And that's on HIGH.

MountainStoveGuy said:
pellet burner said:

i have no idea... its been on batter power now for 16 hours. and the stove is running constantly in this cold weather.[/quote

I am sold ,I can't wait to see how long it will go . Have you got a meter to check the battery voltage to see when it starts getting low . I don't think you want to
be running with low voltage .

Status
Not open for further replies.