1967 John Deere 400 Tractor with loader and backhoe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Solarguy3500

Feeling the Heat
Dec 3, 2020
Western MA
Saw an ad in a local paper for a 1967 JD 400 with loader and backhoe. It's got a 59 HP diesel engine, 2WD. Called and talked to the guy and set up an appointment to go look at it tomorrow. He's the original owner. He's asking $5,800 and he says it's in good shape. Wondering if it's worth it?

This is not the actual tractor, just a website with info about the model:

Oops. I was trying to edit my post and somehow ended up duplicating it. Can't figure out how to delete the other one.

Do you know how to do a compression check on the motor? That would be my main concern.
That's a good thought. I don't have a compression tester, but I could easily get one at the local auto parts store.

Assuming the compression is good, and everything else checks out ok, does the price ($5,800) seem fair?

With old equipment condition is key
So for $5800 what are you getting?
How are the tires,rams,pins? for the first glance.
If they all look ok then go to how it starts and runs.Try to get there before he starts it.
Then check the hydrolic's.
If it checks out then it's up to your judgement as to if you will use it enough to justify the cost.
You really can't get much for that money without shopping around.

Saw an ad in a local paper for a 1967 JD 400 with loader and backhoe. It's got a 59 HP diesel engine, 2WD. Called and talked to the guy and set up an appointment to go look at it tomorrow. He's the original owner. He's asking $5,800 and he says it's in good shape. Wondering if it's worth it?

This is not the actual tractor, just a website with info about the model:
You might want the think long and hard on this one. They are a nice little machine for their intended purpose; commercial use, digging ditches. Chances are it's been "used hard and put up wet", most machines in this category have. Forget about using it in the woods if that is your intent; they are clumsy and awkward, light in the front end and overall not very handy in tight quarters. The closed center hydraulics are an outlier on homeowner equipment and any repairs would be more expensive than you would dream possible.. Unless it is in extraordinarily good shape the asking is a bit high; 3500-4500 would be more in line.

The price inst too bad. Those older industrial tractors are worth a fair amount considering they kind of rare. That tractor is the same as a john deere 2020 farm tractor. Parts are readily available. If its starts and operates, I would say it's a good price. Just make sure to check all pins and bushings. When you look at it, make sure it's cold when you start it and see how it starts. If it smokes a little and ita light blue, that's not uncommon in the older deeres.

Thanks for the input so far. I did go and look at it yesterday. Turns out the owner is not a stranger. He knows my dad, and he knows my wife and her family, as he sold them a house about 20+ years ago. I had brought my wife with me to see the tractor, so there was a lot of reminiscing going on.

He was very forthcoming about the things that were not perfect on the tractor. Walked us around it and pointed everything out that he could think of. Mice had gotten into the wiring at one point and he said he thought the injector pump was bad because it wouldn't start a few years back, then he discovered a mouse had chewed the wire to the pump, so he fixed that with a new piece of wire and it worked. There is a small fuel leak that he pointed out from the injector pump, but it's not bad. The alternator isn't hooked up so it's currently not charging, but he said he just charges up the battery before he uses it. The front tires are dry rotted and one of them was a little low on air. It looks like a tractor from 1967 that's been used on a farm all it's life. He did indicate that he'd be willing to negotiate on the price, and given the family connection, I'm thinking I can get the machine for between $4,500 and $5,000 or less if he's willing to go any lower.
IMG_20211008_115555.jpg

He started it up while we were there and it started easily with a shot of ether. It did smoke a bit after start up (blue smoke) and he drove it across the field and showed us the loader and backhoe working. He had a big pile of composted cow manure and he was scooping buckets full to demonstrate the loader and backhoe. He let me drive it back across the field and park it.
He said he's selling it because he is getting too old to climb up onto it (he's in his 80's) and he said he only uses it like once a year at this point.

Front tires will be cheap if you shop around.
Alternator is an easy fix.If it hasn't been changed there is a good chance it is actually a generator. If it is change it to a 80/90's GM alternator,one wire hook up and adapt the mount's if you have too.
Looks like a great yard machine.Last foreva and will be happy to just be fired once a year,or once a week for yard work.