1976 VC Vigilant thermostat problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cathy23464

Jan 7, 2022
Virginia Beach, VA
Hello. I just had my 1976 Vigilant re-installed after the fireplace and chimney were partially rebuilt. I am very familiar with the stove having run most every year since we bought it new.

Everything seems to be running as it should with the exception of the thermostat. When I’d set it in the past (stove running about 600F) it would need to be about 3/8 - 1/2” open (depending on the type of wood) and it would maintain that temp reasonably well for a few hours. As temp fell the thermostat would open up to allow more air.

Now when I set the thermostat - the opposite happens! As temps rise the opening widens - cranking the fire up even more. I thought I must be mistaken so I took photos to correlate temp and width of opening.

Is it possible for the chain to be attached wrong? (While I see no reason it should have been messed with - something is definitely wrong.)

Thanks

yes on the chain. if the chain comes off the spring in the 9 o'clock position change it to 3 o'clock position or the other way around. some how it must have got hit and repositioned it self

Reactions: Cathy23464
If you have access to an electric heat gun it will help you visualize what is going on. I think a hair dryer may also work.

Last edited:
If you have access to an electric hat gun it will help you visualize what is going on. I think a hair dryer may also work.
Thank you both! I will work on this once it’s cooled off. Unfortunately the company that installed it only left about 1 1/2” clearance between thermostat box and the heat shield, so tough to see back there.

Not sure about the Vigllant, but the heat shield was a option on the big brother Defiants. The shield was held on the back by four standoffs. On the Defiant's without heat shields, there was smaller shield around the spring.

The heat shield I was referring to is something my dad added many years ago - between the large open Colonial firebox and the VC that was positioned forward of the firebox but still on the hearth. It was not “original equipment”.

Anyway the good news is YOUR ADVICE WAS SPOT ON fblec and peakbagger. Although the chain was still attached correctly - the whole lever assembly had gotten twisted 180 degrees. I should have remembered from before that the lever pointed up! The stove always ran so effortlessly for all those years - I never paid attention to the little details. My bad!
Thanks again - what a wonderful forum!!!

Hello. I just had my 1976 Vigilant re-installed after the fireplace and chimney were partially rebuilt. I am very familiar with the stove having run most every year since we bought it new.

Everything seems to be running as it should with the exception of the thermostat. When I’d set it in the past (stove running about 600F) it would need to be about 3/8 - 1/2” open (depending on the type of wood) and it would maintain that temp reasonably well for a few hours. As temp fell the thermostat would open up to allow more air.

Now when I set the thermostat - the opposite happens! As temps rise the opening widens - cranking the fire up even more. I thought I must be mistaken so I took photos to correlate temp and width of opening.

Is it possible for the chain to be attached wrong? (While I see no reason it should have been messed with - something is definitely wrong.)

Thanks
if you've had this stove since the bicentennial year, you'd better be very familiar with it!