1977 dodge m880 (W200)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weezer4117

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2008
central In
I just got this truck and it seems like the transmission is getting hot to me. There are two ports on the transmission for the ATF to cycle through the radiator, does anyone know the proper sequence that these lines should be hooked up? In other words, there is one port in the back and one on the front of the transmission. There is a port on the drivers side of the radioator and one in the passengers side. What goes where????? The factory cooler lines are long gone and I have no idea what the sequence is.....

Edit- 318, 727 auto TF, all time 4wd.....

I'm not so sure the direction of flow through the radiator would be an issue as all that needs to happen for cooling is flow. I would test for proper flow by removing the return oil line at the rear of the trans and placing it into a bucket/jug and have an assistant start the engine and place trans in neutral.As long as you get at least 1 pint in 20 seconds flow is good. Hope this helps.

Flow direction shouldn't matter.
The trans cooler in the radiator is actually a heat exchanger. It will warm the trans when cold and cool it when hot.

Wood dope is correct you need to have flow. Do you have a way of measuring the temp? It is normal for it to get almost as hot as the engine during normal operation. If you are towing you may need an auxilliary cooler installed in the return line to the trans.

I think the above posters are right.. it shouldn't matter. You should have a way of cooling that transmission though. Heat kills transmissions and activities like hauling or plowing work it the hardest. If its still getting hot after you hook up those lines, you might consider an extra transmission cooler as suggested above.

Status
Not open for further replies.